Spec me a replacement commuter

Associate
Short story: KTM990 SM-T (which I loved) got nicked, so looking for a replacement for a 40 mile-a-day commute. Also have a '15 S1000RR in the garage for track/sunny-weekend fun, which also got nicked on a sunny commute, retrieved thanks to a tracker.

Insurance will pay out £5950 after excess. Whatever I get will have a tracker fitted, so budget £400 for that, and a topbox, budget £150 or so, which leaves me roughly £5500. Not all of that needs to be spent- any leftover will go towards another secure-a-bike shed.

Non-negotiable requirements:
750cc or above, 100bhp+ and torquey
ABS
Euro3+ compliant
No singles/parallel twins- V twins, Boxers, triples and all types of four welcome

Comfort is irrelevant, would happily commute on a 1000cc sportbike no problem
Not afraid of high mileage if the underlying platform is known to be reliable
990 SM-T prices seem to be buoyant, so haven't found any around in the condition I want within budget, honestly I fancy a change anyway.

Currently on the shortlist:
High mileage ABS Fireblades
MT-09 ABS
BMW K1200S/K1200R
VFR1200F

Any suggestions greeted with interest :)

Associate
OP
Good choice. How are you finding it? They're supposed to fun. I considered one for a while before I got the Versys 1000.

Really good as a fun commuter- really punchy motor. Was expecting the gearing to be too low but it's spot on.

Have tweaked the fuelling slightly via a hidden diag menu, which has improved if not fixed the throttle sensitivity. Rear shock maxed out on damping and nearly maxed on preload has given it some needed rear ride height, cured the weird floaty/light-handlebar feeling and improved the wobbly rear end. Still not great, but it'll do for the moment.

Just bought a brand new stock exhaust to gut and weld. Somewhere in the future there will be a rear shock, fork springs and a remap with quickshifter/autoblipper.

Really enjoying it to be honest. Just have to make sure tealeaves don't get their hands on it now.

Back
Top Bottom