spec me a router! (internet issue?)

Soldato
hey there, im in need of a new router i think, im currently with BT and have a home hub 5 for the past few years.
when we first got fiber here we was getting constantly 40meg down and 10 upload but over the past year thats dropped to 20 down and 10 up but the major issue is that every now and again download speeds drop to 1 down but upload speed stays the same at 10 up and i have to restart the router to get 20 down again.
im not sure why this is happening, its random too when it does happen it might happen once per week or 3 times per day and now that im gaming again it's a issue because i get disconnected when it happens.
iv tried resetting the router and disabling wifi and all that stuff but it still happens at random times, anybody know what it might be?

but in general i need a new router i think, so can somebody tell me what would be a good choice? im ideally looking for something cheap, below 40-50 pounds, it need's to have wifi for a few mobile phones and tv's in the house and ports to connect 3 machines with a cables.

thanks!

Associate
Your symptoms very similar to what I had few weeks back. 40Mbps rock solid for months, then dropping to 30, 17, 6 over a few days.

Dodgy phone line, replaced by BT. Back to 40 stable.

Soldato
OP
i give BT a bell and theyve changed my master socket on the wall and did some tests, seems theres something wrong with my line, theyve been fiddling about in the cabinet down the road the following day.

but iv decided in general i want a new router because this crappy BT one can't be doing any good anyway, plus it gets so hot its too hot to even hold some times so i fancy getting something new.

any suggestion? :) ty

Soldato
i give BT a bell and theyve changed my master socket on the wall and did some tests, seems theres something wrong with my line, theyve been fiddling about in the cabinet down the road the following day.

but iv decided in general i want a new router because this crappy BT one can't be doing any good anyway, plus it gets so hot its too hot to even hold some times so i fancy getting something new.

any suggestion? :) ty

Unless you're putting it somewhere unsuitable (eg a cupboard), it shouldn't be getting that hot. What do you need form a router above and beyond basic NAT?

Back
Top Bottom