Spec Me an Apple Ecosystem!

Associate
Hi everyone. Im about to ask a question that no-one but me can really answer but I would like some options based on your own experiences if you dont mind....

Current Situation
Im currently pretty much exclusively Apple. I have an Iphone 14 Pro Max, Apple Watch, 214 MacBook Air, 2011 21 inch iMac and a 2017 iPad. Obvious some of this gear is pretty outdated but it all still works and is all still used almost daily.

Potential change
Ive been offered the opportunity to get some Apple kit which would be almost interest free over the next 2-3 years. I was planning to upgrade bits and pieces as and when funds allowed even just with newer second hand stuff but this opportunity is too good to pass up! Leave aside the finances of the whole thing just now and just focus on device choice.

Options
Im leaning towards a new iPad and new laptop. Within this I have the choice of iPad Pro in either size or standard 2022 model. With this I could get an M2 matchbook air or MacBook Pro. For all laptops assume base models as I havent checked out all my options yet.

I love the iPad and the Airs I currently have and given their ages the spec bump would be huge but then I think that for a few quid more I could go for the Pro versions. The reality is Im a light user in terms of tasks but probably a heavier user in terms of time spent

Question

What combination do you think best suits my situation? I look after my kit as you can tell by its age and I would expect this to last me years. I dont want to waste money but would like the best balance between spec and value. The iPad Pro large is tempting but I dont think it fits in an ecosystem with an Air when Im not doing tasks that absolutely require it.

Any thoughts/Experiences to share? This kit would slot in with my watch and Pro Max phone.

Thanks in advance

Commissario
I wouldn't even consider a MacBook Pro in your situation. MacBook Air with (if you can stretch to it) 16 Gb RAM and probably the 512 Gb SSD. You've said you're a light user in terms of tasks so you really, really don't need the Pro.

I can't help on the iPad.

Associate
OP
I wouldn't even consider a MacBook Pro in your situation. MacBook Air with (if you can stretch to it) 16 Gb RAM and probably the 512 Gb SSD. You've said you're a light user in terms of tasks so you really, really don't need the Pro.

I can't help on the iPad.
Yeah thats right. I think the spec bump will be massive regardless and no, there is no justification for a MacBook Pro in terms of use, only in terms of longevity but there is no reason the Air wont provide that.

Soldato
Killer setup for me would be a 11 inch pro at 15 inch MacBook Air.

If I need to do something on a laptop, I want a big screen.

iPad for general browsing/something smaller to take with me for a weekend. But I like the pro motion display.

Edit:

I have a 16 inch Pro + 11 inch iPad Pro + 14 PM.

Last edited:
Associate
"The reality is Im a light user in terms of tasks but probably a heavier user in terms of time spent"

Would recommend going for the new Macbook Air with 16gb of ram, might be worth considering the refurbished from apple as I hear they are as good as new.

New ipad air with M1 chip to accompany, think its better value vs the pro.

Associate
OP
"The reality is Im a light user in terms of tasks but probably a heavier user in terms of time spent"

Would recommend going for the new Macbook Air with 16gb of ram, might be worth considering the refurbished from apple as I hear they are as good as new.

New ipad air with M1 chip to accompany, think its better value vs the pro.
Yeah that’s probably a decent option too. I can’t go for refurb, long story but it’s a thing through my work. I’m still waiting to hear which models of each thing are available but I think the 16gb option on the Air sounds good.

Of course I could probably also just get an IPad Pro 12.9 with keyboard and only need one device……

Soldato
Yeah that’s probably a decent option too. I can’t go for refurb, long story but it’s a thing through my work. I’m still waiting to hear which models of each thing are available but I think the 16gb option on the Air sounds good.

Of course I could probably also just get an IPad Pro 12.9 with keyboard and only need one device……
Out of the MacBook Air and my iPad Pro M1 11" I use the MacBook way more. The iPad is good but I don't have the Magic Keyboard so when taking notes on ebooks and stuff I use the MacBook Air M1 13".

Associate
OP
I should probably put this in a different thread but if I wanted to get a monitor to hook the Air up to just to do grunt work can anyone recommend the cheapest I could get away with? When its hooked up it will literally be for Teams meetings, web surfing and maybe the odd You Tube video. Basically it sits on my "WFH Desk" as an aid to my work computer. Don't want to spent money at all so just the best cheapest one really? At the moment a 12 year old 21.5 iMac is performing this role so thats where the bar is set!!

Last edited:
Associate
Bought one for my son recently, lovely bit of kit from a design and size perspective. I want one now, but don’t really need it as I have a 14” Pro. Love the starlight colour. New iPad next me thinks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom