Spec me an LED Torch

These Keeppower cells I got from ebay are great in my TN31, but they are very tight fit in my TK12. I have to remove the head to push the cell out. Would it be a bad idea to use them? I can see them getting stuck once the torch has warmed up :(:eek:.

Need a torch recommendation.

I picked up an ultrafire c3 not long ago as it was perfect for what I needed it for, now of course my dad has decided he must have a small AA led torch. I was just going to grab another, but he says he would prefer a small AA torch in the same form as my S-mini (same size all the way along). The c3 is thinner in the centre.

Any recommendations? or are they all much the same at the price of the c3 (£7.50ish) as he does not want to spend more than £10. C3 claims to be 120 lumens or so. Don't know if that is accurate though, it's brighter than my s-mini on low, but not medium or high.

Thanks.

can someone with more knowledge than me spec me a torch for work. looking at around £150 give or take and would like a charger with ideally. torch would be used for work so wanting good distance and coverage.

These Keeppower cells I got from ebay are great in my TN31, but they are very tight fit in my TK12. I have to remove the head to push the cell out. Would it be a bad idea to use them? I can see them getting stuck once the torch has warmed up :(:eek:.

It could just be the insulating plastic around the cells that is too thick.
Maybe you could remove it and replace with something thinner such as tape or plasti-kote.

It could just be the insulating plastic around the cells that is too thick.
Maybe you could remove it and replace with something thinner such as tape or plasti-kote.

I strongly recommend that you don't try this with Li-Ion cells, the plastic insulation protects the cells from short-circuiting where the cell-wall (Cathode) meets the top of the cell (Anode). At that area there is less than a millimeter of clearance between the two and the slightest brush of something metallic can short the cell with (possibly) explosive consequences.

Additionally, The insulation holds the protection circuit (if there is one) together and in place, removing it might cause it to fall off or be damaged.

I strongly recommend that you don't try this with Li-Ion cells, the plastic insulation protects the cells from short-circuiting where the cell-wall (Cathode) meets the top of the cell (Anode). At that area there is less than a millimeter of clearance between the two and the slightest brush of something metallic can short the cell with (possibly) explosive consequences.

Additionally, The insulation holds the protection circuit (if there is one) together and in place, removing it might cause it to fall off or be damaged.

This!

I foolishly removed the wrapping on some laptop salvaged cells and while they looked prettier, I once inserted them onto the charger and saw a spark and the top of the cell got hot.

It could have exploded but didn't luckily!

I didn't realise that. :eek:
I've done it with some AA Ni-Mh that were a tight fit, so it seemed the logical approach.

To you folks who are using high powered torches on bar/helmet mounts for cycling - what batteries are you using?. Specifically has anyone purchased additional 18650 type batteries for them?. I've got 2 x Ultrafire WF502B torches here which are simply amazing bar mounted with a couple of Twofish Lockblocks but the other day one of the batteries decided to give up the ghost. Now looking to purchase a couple of replacements but the different manufacturer options out there are numerous to say the least. Had a look on eBay and it's hard to tell what is good quality and what isn't.

My current batteries are 2600 mAh 3.7v Ultrafires, they came with the torches. What should I be looking for, does it follow that a higher mAh will be better?. I've asked this question in the Road Cycling thread in the Sports section of the boards too, hopefully someone who knows more about these things than I do can advise. :cool:

To you folks who are using high powered torches on bar/helmet mounts for cycling - what batteries are you using?. Specifically has anyone purchased additional 18650 type batteries for them?. I've got 2 x Ultrafire WF502B torches here which are simply amazing bar mounted with a couple of Twofish Lockblocks but the other day one of the batteries decided to give up the ghost. Now looking to purchase a couple of replacements but the different manufacturer options out there are numerous to say the least. Had a look on eBay and it's hard to tell what is good quality and what isn't.

My current batteries are 2600 mAh 3.7v Ultrafires, they came with the torches. What should I be looking for, does it follow that a higher mAh will be better?. I've asked this question in the Road Cycling thread in the Sports section of the boards too, hopefully someone who knows more about these things than I do can advise. :cool:

The cells in the post above yours would be a good choice. Ultrafire and other cheapo makes will advertise high MAh but will be nowhere near the figures they state. Better off with decent Panasonic cells that will perform. Especially if using for your bike as you dont want to run out of light halfway through a ride.

If you want to spend less than the ridiculous UK prices then have a look on ebay at HK stores.

I'm after a new torch.

I currently have a Shining beam s-mini and an Ultrafire C8 XM-L

A guy at work just bought some kind of Surefire which is meant to be 200 lumens but it's brighter than my s-mini which is said to be 360 lumens.

Is there anything I can get about s-mini size which will blow away my mate surefire for half the money?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom