Spec me full build and 1440 monitor please

Man of Honour
Hello, I want to order this week for a full build and a new monitor. I want to go 1440. It will mostly be used as my home office work PC but also for gaming and may be VR over the coming fee months.

How important is freesync g sync? never had either. Should it dictate card / monitor combo.

I have typically overclocked (6 year old heavily overclocked 2500k and 6950, 16gb is what I am coming from) My existjng build is going to be a second PC so nothing will be retained other than peripherals.

Please help me with a full spec for monitor and tower. Can be full or midi. I have no allegiance to any manufacturer. I was in general steering towards ryzen but happy to head the other way too.

Budget approx 2k incl monitor but clearly spending less is good. Can be a bit more if a benefit.

I hang onto builds a long time so future proofing is good but in general as discussed in CPU thread go for good value performance ratio on the CPU. Woukd prefer to spend on decent GPU as don'
want to have to upgrade soon. Games mostly FPS (although Nintendo switch is so good it will have competition).

Offce use is mostly MS office but tend to have many sessions open accross word, publisher, ppt a d excel so at least 16gb ram is good. May be 32?

Happy to build. Please spec me as I am really out of touch. Thank you

Soldato
@Skidder

AMD Ryzen+ VEGA+27" 1440P 144HZ Freesync

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,700.73
(includes shipping: £15.90)

Ryzen+Nvidia + 27" 1440p 164hz G-sync

Total: £1,950.73

Intel + Vega+ screen mentioned above
Aorus 7 - best in class audio as well as FREE 240MM AIO from cooler master!

Total: £1,999.78

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thank you. Very helpful. Is water cooling the way to go at the mo? I went air last build, water one before

Which would you go for?

People seem very down on Vega but does it make sense if also buying monitor to get free sync?

Soldato
Thank you. Very helpful. Is water cooling the way to go at the mo? I went air last build, water one before

Which would you go for?

People seem very down on Vega but does it make sense if also buying monitor to get free sync?

its the AIO needed on Ryzen 1600, not really, stock cooler is good and will hit 3.7/8 Ghz , AIO will get it above that with good enough temps and also its RGB enabled to be controlled through the Mobo ;)

the Aorus 7 is currently giving away cooler master 240mm AIO for FREE :D

If you want to save cash, go for Option one , if you want the fastest CPU for gaming its option 3 , for the fastest current FPS or most powerful GPU out of the three its option 2!

personally for me it would be option 2 or 3 . both have pro's and cons - with option 2, longer life span as amd will release 2 more CPU gens on that socket and you've got the better GPU along with higher refresh screen .

option 3 you've got the best board and CPU for gaming- audio is unmatched and damn it look pretty! Vega will run perfectly on that screen and DX12 games nicely but might be a little louder and hotter then 1080 and few FPS slower , powercolor only do 2 year warranty! Gigabytes VEGA 56 is on sale now for £409 and comes with 3 years and you can put a water block or AIO without voiding warranty - if you do it carefully

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the help. I went ryzen, vega and freesync and I did go for the AIO for the snazzy lights! Incoming tomorrow

Soldato
Thanks for the help. I went ryzen, vega and freesync and I did go for the AIO for the snazzy lights! Incoming tomorrow

awesome, post up some pics and let us know how you got on- sorry, would have quoted you Gigabytes Vega had it been on sale at the time, UK RMA and 3 year warranty over 2 year of powercolour, not sure were their rma is

Man of Honour
OP
Awesome thank you. I have taken some pics and video (of the imense RGB fest with the AIO, mobo and 570X all having RGB) along the way, so will update with a build log at some point. Struggling with the over clock though. I can get it stable with Ryzen master but struggling a bit to get stability through the bios with the offsets and so on. Need to do a bit more research on that.
Any tips/guides? :)

Had a bit of budget and spec drift and it ended up Rog Strix B350 and Ryzen 1600 (so got free games incoming), 32gb 3200 8 pack ram, 570x, Vega 64

Back
Top Bottom