Spec me: Living in London with kids

Associate
Relocation due to work. Well aware of the downsides so just looking for some pointers on potential areas to scope out. I can google "family areas in London" etc and get suggestions like Wandsworth, Crofton Park, but looking for actual experience of going through this process or living there!

Requirements:

- Good state primary schools
- Under 750k for 3 bedroom house
- Within 30 mins of London Bridge
- Family friendly local area

I like the look of Greenwich Millennium Village, but just over budget.

Thanks

Soldato
East Dulwich would be my choice, but it’ll be tight for your budget. 18mins to London Bridge, good schools and the main strip is full of little shops and family friendly places to eat and drink. 3 bed terrace is going to be the best you get for 750K.

Man of Honour
Crystal Palace/Gipsy Hill - appears to meet all your requirements so maybe worth a look. One train direct to London Bridge from either station, Crystal Palace Station gives you a few more options in terms of trains because the Overground starts from there but it would be no great hardship to jump on for one stop at Gipsy Hill if you needed the Overground service. I don't really know about the schools from personal experience but from a very quick search there's some good and possibly a couple of outstanding options in the area. There's definitely lots of families as well and Crystal Palace Park is nice. Houses - looks like there's a reasonable choice of 3-4 bedroom places in your budget but that depends on what style you want and what your other requirements are beyond number of bedrooms.

Associate
Herne Hill, Crystal Palace, Forest Hill. All good areas with good schools with good connections to central London. SE London is a great area for families and affordable when compared to others.

Associate
Is it absutely essential you are only 30 mins from London bridge?
If it's just for minimising commute reasons, I'd really think about compromising a little as being slightly further out could give a massive increase in the quality of life for your family.

Soldato

That’s a really good location. That triangle the house is on is full of shops, pubs and restaurants. You might want to check it isn’t too loud for you at night though. The park is just over the road which, if you’re going to live in London as a family, is a fantastic amenity and makes up for the lack of garden. They’ve got dinosaurs for the kids to look at and in the Summer they have a fantastic motorsport hill climb in there.

Brockwell lido is ten minutes away for the summer months and the park there hosts the Lambeth county show. Dulwich village is five minutes away with its boutiques and picket fence lined mansions together with the college with all its history.

There’s a good sized Sainsbury’s on one of the tips of the triangle and they are pouring money in to regenerate even more. It won’t be affordable in 2-3 years. Oh and because you’re at the top of the hill, on New Year’s Eve you’ll see the fireworks on the Thames easily for free.

Soldato
I was going to suggest Ealing (you might just about get somewhere nice for your budget) but if you're commuting to LB then forget West/SW London. Crystal Palace is a good shout. We have friends that live inbetween Gipsy Hill station and Sydenham hill station. Walkable to CP itself which is fairly decent. It's quite a "young" crowd around there -- they were actually complaining the other day that every pub is the same.. craft beer, mediocre hip-hop and full of middle-class white people aged 35-45 :p (Which is them, by the way). Made me laugh anyway. Around Sydenham Hill itself is lovely, but I doubt you'd get a house round there for your budget.

We looked at moving to Beckenham a few years ago when you could get a flat for under £350k (you can't anymore...). It's very nice. Very well-connected. I believe one of the stations goes direct into LB. Might be worth checking it out, seems a bit less "London" than CP.

Man of Honour
Is it absutely essential you are only 30 mins from London bridge?
If it's just for minimising commute reasons, I'd really think about compromising a little as being slightly further out could give a massive increase in the quality of life for your family.

Needs more explanation I think - e.g. is another relatively nearby terminus like Fenchurch Street, Cannon Street, Waterloo etc acceptable?

Personally I wouldn't be looking to London for a family home with that budget, although that's not to say there aren't nice affordable places. I've worked in the City for several years and if I didn't have a family then I would probably move to London, but I would be wanting a 7-figure budget to be confident of finding somewhere I'd be happy bringing up kids, otherwise I'd be chancing my arm. It's one of those situations where I'd probably be either pleasantly surprised or living with regret for moving to an area we don't feel comfortable in.

Back
Top Bottom