Spec me my next (company) car plz

Man of Honour
Hello all, our family's only car is my company car. I am on my second x5 in a row and this goes back in August.

It has been on a contract hire via company. I could do another contract hire but thinking of hire purchase or straight loan (again on company but I can do any brand and whatever type of purchase or hire).

We are in a bit of conflict. There is a desire to go green from my wife. I could have an i-Pace on contract hire for example without paying more than the X5. I still think the charging infrastructure is a bit crap and things like visits to my parents would be a pain as they are just within range but I would need to get a full charge that end before coming home.

In terms of needs. Has to work for 2 kids, 2 little dogs and couple of bags. Not too slow. 7 secs ish to 60 is fine but more is always nice. Comfortable / pleasant place to be and decent music and interface. We only do approx 7k per year. My wife likes a higher driving position but has conceded we don't need something as big as a the X5 for 95% of what we do. She says the only non SUV car she liked is a Panamera, which seems a bit mental cos it has very little in common with the cars she does like (I do like them but not sure it's sensible single car and would have to go older to be in budget I guess). Mostly local short hops with the odd longer motorway journey.

Can buy used (business bank will finance up to 2 year old), or contract hire or new.

Monthly payment is about £700 on X5 so something around there is OK as otherwise i have to up car allowance for others and this I guess means £40k or so if buying used. Could up it within reason.

Are there any decent hybrids that would suit?

I am leaning towards a last hurrah for petrol and may be a 2 year old Macan S.

I was thinking about a range rover but thought I might feel like a ****.

Suggestions please!

Soldato
The Macan S is a nice shout, my only reservations are the slightly weird infotainment and the boot is quite a step down size wise (Again, 2 kids/2 dogs and 'comfort' don't spring to mind with the Macan).

One option is the G01 X3 M40i which gets rave reviews (4.8s to 60!), and you should get a few month old one for £40K (loads of used approved at this price). these are between the Macan and X5 in terms of size.
The Audi SQ5 is also not bad, a different spin on things, nice info-tainment, that 'mid size' again (like the X3) and I find the Mrs prefers Audi's styling.

For non-SUV types I don't know, 2 kids + 2 small dogs surely needs some 'space' to be comfortable.

Range Rover Sport SVR would be great but entry price for even a 2015 is out of budget.

The i3 is actually a nice little eco-friendly choice, but it certainly would suit a two car setup, as it's not great for 2 kids + 2 dogs + comfort + long trips..

Soldato
She's off to look at an i3 this afternoon. Not sure that could be a single car households choice

I have an i3 and think it’s fantastic...

But it is not a family car, I wouldn’t consider it with 2 kids and dogs. There’s no way. The cabin is quite spacious but the boot is pathetic and it only seats 4.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks both. Yeah my feeling is i3 would be very frustrating - Still got to do the odd dump run

x3 m40i could be a good shout

Soldato
The Mrs had a mini countryman a few years ago and actually it was OK as cross overs go, just enough boot (more practical than a normal hatch), plenty of rear legroom for the kids and that slightly larger cabin to make it feel a bit more relaxed. I'd actually go and drive the Hybrid, they get a lot of 'this makes no sense' but actually hybrid cross overs are the next 'thing' IMO, and becoming more popular..

Personally it wouldn't be my choice, but if I only drive it occasionally it is tolerable! But it's quite a step away from an X5, just test drive one, you'll either love or hate it.

Saying that, the very reason we changed it was when we got a dog, with the 2 kids it wasn't practical enough for us, and honestly I never found it very comfortable on long journeys, too harsh a ride that didn't translate to handling.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Just had a look at i3 and countryman HEV. i3 is def too small to be single car

Countryman I actually could live with at least size wise. Going to test drive.

Man of Honour
OP
The Mrs had a mini countryman a few years ago and actually it was OK as cross overs go, just enough boot (more practical than a normal hatch), plenty of rear legroom for the kids and that slightly larger cabin to make it feel a bit more relaxed. I'd actually go and drive the Hybrid, they get a lot of 'this makes no sense' but actually hybrid cross overs are the next 'thing' IMO, and becoming more popular..

Personally it wouldn't be my choice, but if I only drive it occasionally it is tolerable! But it's quite a step away from an X5, just test drive one, you'll either love or hate it.

Saying that, the very reason we changed it was when we got a dog, with the 2 kids it wasn't practical enough for us, and honestly I never found it very comfortable on long journeys, too harsh a ride that didn't translate to handling.

Thanks, I will give it a whirl. Appreciate it is a step down.

Wife is already speccing colours!

Soldato
Thanks, I will give it a whirl. Appreciate it is a step down.

Wife is already speccing colours!

I sense you'd probably find it refreshingly different to the X5, whilst it's a bit harsher, the quirkiness IMO has it's own appeal and meant I never complained when having to drive the Wifes.

The new countryman is a bit better than the old one, and just looking at the hybrid, as its an Auto and you can get it in a decent enough spec, looks to be worth considering!

Man of Honour
OP
I have loved the x5 but two in a row (5 series touring before that) I'm a bit bored. Wife wants to demonstrate to the kids that we are taking the environment seriously. Logic is a bit flawed as I would think having a new car made gives the environment more of a shoeing than buying a used one. We also have a V8 in our boat but she doesn't seem to have noticed that!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Probably not. I guess the day to day of popping to the shops and so on would be on the battery.

I am going to try to influence my wife to look towards the i-pace. My only concern with that is the odd trip we do to Wales where my mum and dad are, that would use probably 80% of real world range and then would need to top up.

It would be contract hire of an ipace rather than buy to fit within my (made up by me) car allowance.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Went to have a poke around an i-pace yesterday. Nice bit of kit. Have a test drive booked next weekend. Kids very taken with it.

Soldato
Went to have a poke around an i-pace yesterday. Nice bit of kit. Have a test drive booked next weekend. Kids very taken with it.

They’re very good cars. Quick as well as well built. You’ll definitely enjoy the test drive.

The main complaint you come across is efficiency. The range isn’t very impressive (don’t believe the dealer figures) and the UK doesn’t have a great network of rapid chargers above 50kw yet. If you don’t do many long trips, go for it. If you do lots of 200mile+ jaunts then expect to spend a while charging until a network of 100kw+ chargers is built out.

Back
Top Bottom