Spec Me: New Workstation

Associate
I currently run:
+ ASUS x99 ws mobo.
+ Xeon E5-2697A v4 16 cores
+ 256GB ECC DDR4 2400
+ RTX 2060 6GB [for 3 screens]
+ 8 bays 2.5" SAS disk enclosure (fits 2x5.25" drive bay of the case) (plus Dell RAID card)
+ 2*10Gb/s Intel LAN card
+ Intel 2TB NVME for system (Linux)
+ Fractal Design R something or other (nice case)

I want to upgrade; mostly because the CPU seems considerably better on a core/core basis. Primary use is compiling stuff. I do *zero* gaming. I want a lot of RAM (at least 128GB).
I did a cursory prospective shopping cart and it comes down to:
+ Gb X670E AORUS Xtreme EATX
+ AMD 5950X CPU
+ Intel Arc A770
+ Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5...
+ Fractal Design Define R7 case
+ [Probably a good Gold+ PSU]

Am I missing out on something in terms of performance or spec? Is this the 'right' mobo?
Threadripper's are just too expensive. I also have a 2*44 core rack server I can spin up if I need to, so I just want a good workstation with some upgrade path (ram, CPU?).

I want to reuse my RAID setup. It's not quick, but I don't care (RAM == cache) and last thing I need is an NVME packing up on me on a work day. The RAID setup is super reliable, and very cheap to run (SAS disks cost peanuts). The system NVME is imaged weekly so I could spin one back up quickly enough

Suggestions? Ideas?

What's it being used for? If you are purely using it for either a storage array or virtualisation then there may be better and cheaper options buying an actual server as those CPUs are more towards PC usage (rather than server usage)

M.

What's it being used for? If you are purely using it for either a storage array or virtualisation then there may be better and cheaper options buying an actual server as those CPUs are more towards PC usage (rather than server usage)

M.

I mostly do compilation of large linux distros. I already have a big server for more 'batch' jobs, but the workstation is used for doing development. I rarely virtualize anything on it, and if I need storage, I have that on the big server... (15*3TB + 8*1.2TB arrays on there)

So really I want something beefy, reliable, and not 'gamer' -unless it applies!- I've stopped overclocking stuff since I switched to Xeons. I don't *need* the fastest RAM, it's much more important to me to have plenty of it...

AMD 5950X CPU

That's an old AM4 CPU; the AM5 Ryzen 9950 is due to be launched very soon.

Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5...

Level1Techs found that Ryzen support for such large amounts of RAM was iffy. You will be better off with a Threadripper system, especially if you want more than 128 GB RAM. OCUK have a business side and they sorted my brother out very nicely some years ago.

I mostly do compilation of large linux distros. I already have a big server for more 'batch' jobs, but the workstation is used for doing development. I rarely virtualize anything on it, and if I need storage, I have that on the big server... (15*3TB + 8*1.2TB arrays on there)

So really I want something beefy, reliable, and not 'gamer' -unless it applies!- I've stopped overclocking stuff since I switched to Xeons. I don't *need* the fastest RAM, it's much more important to me to have plenty of it...

If you're using server tech, such as Xeons, and just need core density then an older second hand Epyc or such like might be better than trying to upgrade to 'PC' hardware. It really depends on what direction you want to go in and what your pain points are. So what is the priority? Core speed? Density? Something else? :)

M.

EPYC is the natural upgrade path, it will allow you to increase core count/IPC significantly and use existing RAM, I wouldn't bother with TR personally.

Depends on your budget but, Id look at something Threadripper based and Zen4 if you can. They’re split between the Pro and Non pro parts with 8 and 4 memory channels respectively and range from 12-96 cores with very high IPC. The motherboards are available with 4 and 8 channel memory.

Link to the range.

I still haven't really decided on this. The TH is an obvious upgrade, but costs a massive amount really, for that jump in perf... Main downside is the price of DDR5 which is silly, when I can get 32GB DDR ECC sticks for <25 quid :-)

The EPYC looks nice, but it is also quite expensive *considering* I could get a new SuperMicro C612 Mobo with dual socket and just buy another E5-2697A for less than £200 (thus doubling the core count).
The "good" EPYC (64 cores) with mobo are >£1.5k for a per-core speed that isn't *massively* better than what I have... There's a bunch of them from china. Yes it is a more energy efficient solution, but all in all the price difference vs the saving in electricity doesn't really stack up.

So either I find a cheapish s/h TH or I'll just get that dual-socket mobo and wait a couple more years. Silly to see that that ~2016 solution is still actually quite competitive (especially considering the price!)

Well I found a UK based cheap SuperMicro EPYC dual socket board, with 2xEPYC 7282 (16 cores) and 128GB DDR4 2666 for about 500 -- that EPYC is not necessarily a big upgrade by itself, but 1) there's 2 of them and 2) it opens up option to find the faster version (boost to 3.9Ghz) while still staying under 1K -- this is not threadripper, but it is definitely a noticeable upgrade.

I'll reuse the RAID, 10Gb/s card and I'll add a USB 3.2 pcie in there, should do? I'll report...

Back
Top Bottom