Spec me some business courses!

Caporegime
I'm looking to make the next jump in my career. I'm an engineer at heart so can tell you anything about engineering, but can barely use a calculator. My company has no issues investing in me but we're limited to approved suppliers. I'm currently in talks about which courses to go for, but I really want to hit the ground running and smash it out pronto.

To that end I'm looking for some cheap / free courses I can do in my free time. Things like profit & loss, procurement, contract management and retention, etc. General business stuff.

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Cheers!

Caporegime
OP
Wharton courses on coursera.

As I was typing that out I thought "I know exactly who's going to post up something useful" and here you are :D

I gotta admit, I know I like ribbing you sometimes but you never fail to come through. Cheers Dowskie!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Whats the end goal for you, management at the same firm?

Would they invest in something like an MBA Essentials course from LSE?

Probably, the next leadership course I'm going on is a bit more than that but I will likely have to wait a year or so, or I'll be taking the mick. Looks like a good option though, cheers!

Caporegime
As I was typing that out I thought "I know exactly who's going to post up something useful" and here you are :D

I gotta admit, I know I like ribbing you sometimes but you never fail to come through. Cheers Dowskie!

I do try to keep things sensible in these other forums (especially this one as arguably career stuff is even more important than whether someone gets the "right" GPU in the hardware forum or whatever BMW TW Fox recommended in the car forums etc..), though I love a good bun fight over opinion based stuff in GD/SC and as for any "woke" stuff - come at me bro... /jk :)

Would they invest in something like an MBA Essentials course from LSE?

Interestingly Santander will sponsor people for that one for free - just have to apply via them and do some aptitude tests.

I guess there are two types here - the non-credit-bearing/professional certificate ones and the credit-bearing ones.

The LSE one is on EDX, there is a Glasgow one on Coursera - which is included in a Coursera plus subscription, so much, much cheaper than shelling out £3.5k or whatever if not getting an employer or Santander to pay.
(edit actually the Glasgow one looks to be waaay shorter and probably not fair to compare the two)

LSE one is already sorted for CPD hours (if that's relevant for anyone's professional body - accountants etc. or employer's requirements) but I'm pretty sure that (verified) coursera stuff counts for CPD too.

There are also actual credit-bearing ones* - seems like Birmingham and Herriot-Watt offer "MBA Essentials" course that come with credits.

In the case of Birmingham it's like 2k per 10-credit module:

Not clear re: Birmingham if the credits are subsequently able to be used on their MBA or just some sort of MSc in "Management"

For Heriot-Watt it's a Postgraduate Certificate - which means 60 credits at masters level (120 = Postgraduate Diploma and 180 = Masters degree), and in that case it can be used towards an MBA - basically, it's 1/3 of one.

*If you're taking a course for credit then generally you're actually a student/alumni of that institution, the credit can be used towards a degree or transferred to another institution and it can go with your other formal education BA/BSc etc.. whereas someone taking a non-credit certificate at LSE probably shouldn't try and pass it off as though they were a student at LSE, just as someone who got a CS50X certificate from Harvard shouldn't try and pass it off as though they attended Harvard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom