Spec me Some Good Champagne

Soldato
I was thinking of getting a bottle of champagne for this Chrismas Day, but I dont really have much knowledge of what is or isn't a good champagne. I had some moutard rose prestige champagne in York that was very nice, but thats about the only brand I know for sure I like.

I'd actually like two bottles, one to drink straight and one to mix with fresh orange juice. Obviously the one for mixing doesnt need to be as high quality as the one I'd drink straight, though that doesn't mean I want any cheap crap for the second bottle. I'm not afraid of paying for a vintage brand, but I wouldn't want to pay anything over... lets say... £150 or there abouts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
While I understand you're wanting a real treat, there is honestly no need to spend silly amounts on Champers - especially when you're mixing it with fruit juice!

Louis Roederer NV will be fine for what you need. Two or three bottles of that. If you need to spend the money, buy a bottle of Krug - Grande Cuvee NV. That will cost around £110, but there is honestly no need to spend that if you rarely drink champers.

Well as I said, I wont be mixing the expensive one with orange juice. That one will be getting drunk on its own. I'll buy a non vintage bottle for the mixing :)

I know its probably silly to want to spend the money on an expensive bottle, but it really is a one off indulgance and I have the cash to spare. I've never tried vintage champange before and I really want to give it a go. :)

Soldato
OP
Just arrived about 30 minutes ago via parcel delivery. Now I just have to resist the urge to crack it open before Christmas :)
img0057cy.jpg

Soldato
OP
The perfect thread! I'm going to be in Champagne in the very near future and it would be simply wrong to not pick up a bottle or six. I prefer the southern Champagnes - I had a friend related to the Tassins in Celles-sur-Ource, but that was 20 years ago. I prefer the Blanc de Blanc to the Brut.

So, any suggestions?

DRINK! Drink till your liver explodes!

Soldato
OP
So I'm planning to do the thing I thought about doing back when I first started this thread 4 years ago. I want to get a bottle of vintage champagne for Christmas. Not really to celebrate as such, but this will be my first Christmas without my mum. I want something nice to toast her memory on the day, as silly as that might sound.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/30712/bollinger-la-grande-annee-champagne-2005-brut
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/30561/dom-perignon-2006-vintage-champagne

These are the two I've had my eye on. I'm still fairly clueless when it comes to high end champagnes, though I have heard of both these brands. Anyone got any recommendations for a novice?

Soldato
OP
Put the bottle of Bollinger into the fridge to chill. Also got a cheap bottle of non vintage champagne chilling in there as well, for champagne & orange juice on Christmas morning :)

Soldato
OP
This year I have:

1 x Tesco Finest Premier Cru Brut Champagne (for mixing with OJ on Christmas morning)
1 x Bollinger Special Cuvée Champagne (For Christmas dinner)

Back
Top Bottom