IMG_1584.JPG

Some 2002.

IMG_1585.JPG

More 2002.

IMG_1587.JPG

The lees.

IMG_1589.JPG

The remaining 79 + other old bits.

Fun fact: Bernard de Nonancourt acquired Salon during his tenure as head of Laurent Perrier as when he raided Hitler's Eagle's Nest wine bunker in 1945 he found that it was well stocked with 1928 Salon which he thought was a most stunning wine.

Soldato
Well my two weeks here has come to an end.

I very much enjoyed the Cristal. Being able to sit outside certainly helps though it'd have been better at my parents old apartment up a mountain as the views over the horizon as the sun set were better than any I've seen.

Drank a lot of cava at a lot of price points whilst I've been here. Probably around 10 bottles so just over one every other day.

Don't know whether it's a mixture of language issues between myself and alcohol shops but so much of what I've bought has been either tasteless of overly sweet (I've always asked for drier tasting bottles).

The best has to have been a Friexenet Brut Barrocco. It was very good and I'd recommend it to anyone if you manage to find a bottle. Was around 10 euros a bottle and worth every penny :)

Soldato
The perfect thread! I'm going to be in Champagne in the very near future and it would be simply wrong to not pick up a bottle or six. I prefer the southern Champagnes - I had a friend related to the Tassins in Celles-sur-Ource, but that was 20 years ago. I prefer the Blanc de Blanc to the Brut.

So, any suggestions?

Soldato
OP
The perfect thread! I'm going to be in Champagne in the very near future and it would be simply wrong to not pick up a bottle or six. I prefer the southern Champagnes - I had a friend related to the Tassins in Celles-sur-Ource, but that was 20 years ago. I prefer the Blanc de Blanc to the Brut.

So, any suggestions?

DRINK! Drink till your liver explodes!

Soldato

So, any suggestions?

I can't wait to get over to Champagne, it's definately on my list. I'm similar in that i prefer the Blanc de Blancs style.

I think if i was you i'd just visit various houses, try their champagne and then stock up on what you like!

Following on from previous comments i picked up a bottle of Delamotte Blanc de Blancs. Wonder how it compares to the proper Salon champagnes.

Soldato
Side note, as it's not Champagne, but I've been drinking through some decent Crement D'Alsace lately, as it's from the region, and, similarly to a cava, you can get a decent tasting bottle for 6euros. Which is crazy. Don't get me wrong, the flavour profile isn't as complex by any means, but much nicer than a lot of the 10-20quid UK bottles you get. Hell, I prefer it to Lanson any day. (I can't stand Lanson)
Another one to try is a Crement de Bourgogne as they're really nice too.

Man of Honour
Side note, as it's not Champagne, but I've been drinking through some decent Crement D'Alsace lately, as it's from the region, and, similarly to a cava, you can get a decent tasting bottle for 6euros. Which is crazy. Don't get me wrong, the flavour profile isn't as complex by any means, but much nicer than a lot of the 10-20quid UK bottles you get. Hell, I prefer it to Lanson any day. (I can't stand Lanson)

Alsace is very near where my French family are from, and I do like crémant :) Often go to the Vosges (where my family is actually from) and enjoy the regional pinor noir, and many a bottle of crémant!

Soldato

I'll try that.

Whilst i don't like the Lanson NV either, i got bought a bottle of their 1999 Vintage (about £45) and it was a lot better than their NV stuff.

taB

taB

Associate
Lanson NV can be ok and I think has improved over the past decade personally. Just stick it in a cellar for a couple of years between buying it and drinking it and it should turn out ok.

Soldato
Majestic had that on at 40quid a bottle, if you bought 2 of them. Naturally I had to buy 2 when I saw that.

Bargain offer on at my local supermarket, a Pommery Louise 99 for 55 euros. Considering it's usually over 100, it's a good price. It was clearly due to them finding them out back, but I don't mind as I have had both of them now. Have one left to drink, the other went right done. Also got a couple of LP Brut NV for 25eur a bottle too. Was nice.

Back
Top Bottom