Spec me some sous-vide ribs

Soldato
As title! Haven't ventured into any "slow cooked" sous-vide recipes yet (just steak, chicken breast so far) but we're going round to a friends this weekend and I thought what better opportunity to give some ribs a go. The idea being I do the hard work at home, then take them round to finish on the BBQ.

I was looking at the SE recipe here: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/sous-vide-pork-ribs-recipe-food-lab.html

Anything else to consider? :confused: Is the Colgins liquid smoke the best? I see it's available on Amazon.

Sidenote; I can't say my girlfriend is particularly excited about doing these :)rolleyes: ), any other sous-vide BBQ recipes to consider?

Soldato
I used the SE recipe before and it came out perfect.

Other option is Pulled Pork, but relies on the BBQ the other end to be good enough to finish it off.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I have low expectations on the BBQ side. I don't think it's quite a portable tin tray but won't be far off :p

Did you use the Colgin liquid smoke?

Soldato
I used the SE recipe with Colgin liquid smoke and the results were superb.

I'd suggest double bagging the ribs, I always do when I'm cooking something with a bone. Only once has that actually proved necessary and it was when I did ribs - the bone pierced the first bag.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll do some variation of the SE recipe. I'm preparing for the girlfriends questioning of why the heck I need to cook something for 12hrs+ but to be honest I'm also wondering about the electricity cost. Does it use a lot leaving it on for that amount of time? :confused:

Soldato
OP
There's articles online re electric usage. Short answer is that it's really cheap to run, especially if you have an insulated container.
Cool. Another question now that I have ordered my Colgin's liquid smoke from Amazon ( :p)... how much water would you lose to evaporation over 12hrs? Can't off the top of my head tell you the size of the pot but it's a big stock pot -- not huge mind. I'll put some foil over the top for insulation etc. so I'm sure that'll help :confused:

Man of Honour
Cool. Another question now that I have ordered my Colgin's liquid smoke from Amazon :)p)... how much water would you lose to evaporation over 12hrs? Can't off the top of my head tell you the size of the pot but it's a big stock pot -- not huge mind. I'll put some foil over the top for insulation etc. so I'm sure that'll help :confused:

If you cover the top with foil or cling film you'll lose virtually none. I have a lid for mine which has a small air gap and I've not had to top up even for 48 hour cooks.

Soldato
For beef short rib I have been doing the following:

dry the ribs and season.
vac pack individually (double pack if worried)
72 hours @62C in the water bath
Cool in iced water, and put in the fridge until ready to reheat.
Unpack, pat dry and then ~35-45 mins indirect on the weber with a handful or two of whiskey barrel or plain oak chips. ~15 mins before done, baste in JD BBQ sauce and then again about 8 mins before done.

Back
Top Bottom