Spec me some tools for working on cars

Caporegime
I plan on just doing small bits and pieces myself from now on. I may progress this onto most things. Servicing, repair and maintenance costs in this country seem to be going crazy. I mean £500 bill for an hours work replacing a simple gasket.

Jobs I plan on doing:

Calipers and the bit the wheel slots onto are looking very tired. was thinking of a subtle grey or black paint rather than the current rustic look they have got going on the now. For this I need a low profile jack (car is pretty low) and a couple of decent axle stands as well as possible rubber tops to distibute the weight more evenly.

I also plan on changing a certain light which requires an 8mm deep socket. I don't have anything atm apart from a spanner so I think I may as well invest in a set. I saw a Bahco one for <£40 on amazon I would need to buy the 8mm deep socket separately on top but wondering what people suggest here. Or should I be looking to buy one of the £350 sets halfords do for half price with the life time guarantee? Also where and what should i be looking to buy in terms of the 8mm deep socket i want a 6 sided one rather than 12. prices ranging from £2 to £15.

I may then try refilling the DPF fluid on the wifes car after that. Looks like an easy job apart from resetting the car. Is there are all in 1 solution when it comes to OBD readers and software? I'll also do the oil, filter and other filters too. so need a full service reset.

What do you all recommend for working on cars?

Soldato
The Halfords Professional toolkits are generally well regarded, and come with a lifetime guarantee. Most of their kits are well equipped, and discounts come up on them often. I have one myself which I've owned for years, and it has nearly everything I need for basic maintenance. Id start looking there :)

Soldato
I mean £500 bill for an hours work replacing a simple gasket.
Depends on the gasket and how complicated it is to get to... as well as how rusted up and abused your vehicle is.
Gaskets themselves can be expensive. A set of head and cylinder gaskets on my bike will cost you about £150!!

Or should I be looking to buy one of the £350 sets halfords do for half price with the life time guarantee?
They are very good, yes... !
You'll probably find they have all the deep reach sockets you need already in the set. Might not even have to go for the full 200 piece version - the 90 piece is only £75 and will do most things.
Among other things, you'll probably want screwdrivers, pliers, mole grips, a set of lump, claw, copper and rubber hammers/mallets, a decent torch....

Is there are all in 1 solution when it comes to OBD readers and software?
Not really.
OBDII readers will read and reset generic codes, but often the exact issue is only discernible through manufacturer specific software, like RossTech and the like. They're useful for getting started and clearing codes, for the most part, but you can do it with a decent, cheap dongle and a phone app. I have an iAutomobil and the Torque Pro app for quick and dirty checks, but still take it to a professional for confirmation.

What do you all recommend for working on cars?
The internet, a brain, patience, care, tea... maybe a first aid kit!

Caporegime
The Halfords Professional toolkits are generally well regarded, and come with a lifetime guarantee. Most of their kits are well equipped, and discounts come up on them often. I have one myself which I've owned for years, and it has nearly everything I need for basic maintenance. Id start looking there :)

Except you'll want to replace the 12-sided sockets with some decent 6-siders.

Whilst the quality of the entire kits are great, 12 sided sockets are evil.

Caporegime
OP
Except you'll want to replace the 12-sided sockets with some decent 6-siders.

Whilst the quality of the entire kits are great, 12 sided sockets are evil.

is there a 6 sider kit you can buy or individually as you need them? what make is recommended or again singles from halfords / b & q best?

Soldato
I'd start with a decent socket set (another shout out for Halfords Pro), trolley jack, axle stands and build up from there. You can buy all the tools from day 1 but I find it better to get tools as and when I need them or when I see a decent offer. For example I managed to pick up a set of Halfords Pro ratchet spanners for 80% off. I didn't need them at the time but they have been really handy since!

Soldato
I bought an sgs trolley jack. Not cheap but really good quality. Unfortunately i went for the 2.5 ton one which wasnt as low profile as there lowest and so to jack up the rear of the car i have to reverse onto some 1/2 inch planks. I'd imagine any trolley jack with a roller will be low profile.

Edit thats the one i bought (100mm is not low enough), should have gone for this one as will do 85mm. As i say not cheap but worth it imo. Good solid things.

Permabanned
If you have a few quid spare then a ball joint splitter, a thing that pushes the caliper piston
back in when you replace the pads, a one-man brake bleeding kit, a suction pump for
changing the oil, a set of door trim removal tools.

That's your Xmas and birthdays sorted for the next few years.

PS, a set of open ended spanners, [ no adjustables, they are for cowboys ] you can't get a track rod end off with a socket or a ring spanner.

Associate
Soldato
If I was starting out again:
a) decent set of sockets, with extensions for spark plugs etc, also a torque socket pieces
b) axel stands and trolley jack - ensure you get the stands for safety's sake. Also get a set of old bricks you'll find them useful for propping wheels when doing the rear brakes etc.

Actually that set that fullspizz has pointed to has these both (the chocks are for (b)).

c) A torque wrench with a length that you can apply force - this make it so much easier for wheels etc.
d) Also get a tarp to go under the car - it makes finding dropped things (and stopping contamination of dirt on dropped things) and containing spills easier. The DPF stuff is nasty so any spills you want to keep clean.
e) spanner set for the PITA places you can't get the socket set into.

I've changed break blocks, callipers, alternator.

The rest you could get as you do tasks as they depend on the car/engine etc.

Back
Top Bottom