Spec my mother a car... 20k budget

Associate
So to start I'm in Gibraltar so don't link me to UK cars for sale, this is really more of a 'which is a better decision for my mum' question.

We've seen a few cars she likes and many she doesn't.

We saw a brand new Toyota Auris for 19k with a niceish spec but not exciting.

And we've seen a 2014 Lexus IS300H Fsport for 25k (but they'd take 20k... because of the interior) which is lovely but has a disgusting custom blue/white interior that was done when the car was brand new (confirmed the story with a friend that knows the owner, 70 year old with terrible colour taste).

My suggestion was that even though the lexus is a bit overpriced (everything seems to be a bit pricey in Gibraltar), it would still be a better overall buy?

She'd get a car that was much nicer to drive, with lots of options, parking sensors, camera etc the lot. And importantly it wouldn't depreciate as much? Even if she spent 2k or so to reupholster the interior in black leather. Over long term it's already had the 'worst' of the depreciation done?

Whereas the Toyota I'd imagine would fly down fairly rapidly?

Any thoughts? I want to help her make a sensible decision that's best for her and would rather my own "I like the nice lexus more than the Toyota" not cloud that.

Cheers! :D

Associate
OP
The Lexus still has a boat load of money to depreciate, far from a safe bet if retaining value is important.

More than a new car?

I don't think this is outright about depreciation or running costs. She just wants the 'better buy for her' as she keeps telling me and I have no idea what to recommend.

I have a ford transit that I use to carry my bikes in :D hahaha

Associate
Is it really worth spending so much on a Toyota? If your mum spends half her budget on an auris it will still be a very reliable, cheap car to run and your mum will have an extra 9 or 10k in her pocket.

Associate
OP
Is it really worth spending so much on a Toyota? If your mum spends half her budget on an auris it will still be a very reliable, cheap car to run and your mum will have an extra 9 or 10k in her pocket.

Unfortunately in Gibraltar we're massively limited by whatever is available at the time. There's a second hand Auris but it's Manual and auto is a deal breaker for her.

The other Auris is Auto but new and the same price as the second hand Lexus.

Edit: Just spoken to garage and their website had a mistake. They have a second hand Auris, one year old, for £13,950 ono.

I'll go check it out with her. She likes things like parking sensors etc, so will have a look and see what it has. Might be a better car for her, does seem a bit pricey since I don't think it's a particularly high spec.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Problem solved...

She went in with a friend and paid list price for a second hand one year old Toyota Auris that her friend convinced her was lovely because it's white and she likes white cars.

Bit disappointing as it's not a particularly nice car and will drop in depreciation like a stone. Ah well, at least it probably won't break down and will last a good while.

Soldato
As an aside Robin, that IS300H, remember thinking how good that car/colour combo looked when I first saw it doing the rounds in Gibraltar...until I saw the interior.

What was that guy thinking...

Associate
OP
As an aside Robin, that IS300H, remember thinking how good that car/colour combo looked when I first saw it doing the rounds in Gibraltar...until I saw the interior.

What was that guy thinking...

Wito! You know the exact one then haha. 38k new, accepting offers of 20k after two years. Mechanically perfect, cosmetically... erm... flawed?

Ghastly inside :D

Soldato
Exactly that one. Trust me it looks worse in the flesh.

Eddscott, if you're really interested, Basssone motors is located along the road down to Eastern Beach... :)

Back
Top Bottom