Spec New Cheap Phones

Soldato
We've been out of the loop for mobile phones for years, owning Moto G5S Plus and Honor 9 Lite. With the 3g disappearing, both our phones wouldn't be compatible for much longer, so feels like a good time to refresh them.

I'd say upper limit around £250 per device.

Whats decent? We don't do anything intensive on our phones, so nothing like gaming. Occasionally partner will use camera and social media. Me personally just browse Internet.

Maybe get a cheap phone and save a few bobs?

I saw Moto G13 for £89, looks decent for the spec.
The Moto G13 looks excellent for £89.

I had a Moto G7 Power and only changed it as I needed a phone with NFC to enable me to pay by credit card.

Instead, I got a Pixel 7a for £329, but I'm not that impressed with it - especially re battery life and the modem. It struggles to get a signal in a lot of situations.

Would the Moto G13 be any better re. battery life and a decent signal? I'm not bothered about 5G.

I'm tempted to get the G13 as it seems to do what I want, including NFC. Then sell the 7a when I can still get a decent price for it. And I'll be a few quid up on the deal.

The £89 for a Moto G13 looks to hit the sweet spot as a new budget phone?

That sounds like a good plan especially if the pixel is not working out for you. Could still sell for a decent price and get some money back after the Moto too

Samsung A55 can be had through student/work discount portals for under £200 with trade in of any phone.

Good screens and build quality according to reviews and 5 years of software support I believe.

Samsung A55 can be had through student/work discount portals for under £200 with trade in of any phone.

Good screens and build quality according to reviews and 5 years of software support I believe.

Not bad. What's the battery like? No wireless charging and only USB 2 OTG with 25W slower charging? Bit behind on that. Also no telephoto lens or portrait mode/blur feature? < I just skim read specs vs the cheaper OnePlus 9 Pro so may have missed something.
On par otherwise though.

Back
Top Bottom