speccing a FSX PC

Associate
Loads of good info thanks guys.

From my research, FSX is absolutely the worlds worst CPU hog. I had a e6700 then e6750 (different machine) and now the q6600, and at all times, the cores will sit at 100%. I noticed a marked difference from the e6750 to the q6600 - definitely a lot smoother. I was looking for even more smoothness though. Perhaps I will just buy a new motherboard and try to really release the q6600's potential.

Are there any thoughts on getting a Q6700 over another Q6600? What about a q9450/q9550 ?

As far as GPU goes, apparently FSX will not gain anything from the new cards, the 8800GTX is idling with FSX apparently. I wish there was a way to measure GPU load - but if temps are anything to go by, they only increase by 5-6 degrees with FSX, compared to a 10 degree increase when playing unreal.

It'd be cheaper and more hassle free to wait for the next FS that actually takes multicores into consideration. But then again... It might not be for a very long time...

Associate
OP
It'd be cheaper and more hassle free to wait for the next FS that actually takes multicores into consideration. But then again... It might not be for a very long time...

With SP1 and SP2 FSX does actually use multicore. In an interview the lead designer explained how they offload the texture drawing and autogen scenery to other cores. As that's the main killer in FSX, it actually makes a huge difference.

FSX to FSX SP1 is a very dramatic improvement (well it was for me - on FSX prior to SP1 my 1 core would be 100% and the other 3 were practically idle. SP1 makes all 4 cores run at 100% just about all the time.)

I'm now wondering how much improvement I would see from a Q6600 to a Q9550. Increased stock core speeds, improved FSB. Add this to a new capable board, and I think I may see a bit more of what I want.

I read somewhere else the Q9450 is going away soon, and the Q9550 is expected to drop to current Q9450 price range. Anyone got any links to anything of this type of news? I may very well wait for this drop if it is going to happen in the next weeks.

Soldato
Well I made a thread asking about FSX but looks like here is a better place to discuss it's greedy needs. I can't believe that the quadcore CPUs still aren't enough for FSX, must be terribly coded.

I have a x1800XT E6300 which runs FSX quite poorly once any fun options are turned up (auto gen, AI) I'm trying to find some recent benchmarks of todays newer hardware so I can get an idea on what kinda FPS to expect. Any one have any links? :)

Associate
OP
Toms

Recently Toms hardware have been including FSX in benchmarks for GFX cards. Here is a link to an article praising the 4870 over the gtx260.

FSX Bench in article

On a personal note. I went whacky today and I have bought a new mobo, 2 x 4870HD , as well as a GTX280. The GTX will go in my p35 mobo, along with a Q6600 and the x38 board will receive the 2x4870HD cards along with a Q6600. When the Q9550 drops in price, expected end-July-mid-Aug, then I will buy one of those.

I figured buying the Q9550 now for £365, or buy a Q6600 now for £120 and buy the Q9550 when the price drops to around £200-00. The + is that I get to start messing with the new stuff now while I wait for the price drop on the 9550, but end up spending the same money as I would if I bought the 9550 now.

Permabanned
erm planning to use keyboard and mouse? :-/ For proper setup add a yoke, rudder pedals, throttle/flat quadrant, throttle stick, and joystick.

Associate
Yeah, defo need joystick/yoke and anything else all helps

p1010091kp1.jpg

I run FSX SP1 and this definitely utilises all 4 cores, with core 1 always being at 100%, and the other 3 being used as required. I use the Horizon GenX photo scenery add on and when flying in the region covered, all 4 cpus are often at or near 100%. When flying within the default terrain it varies, but over high density cities utilization over all cores is still high.

If i were you i wouldnt be spending any more money at the momeant, as FSX at 100% scenery, AI traffic etc at great frame rates just isnt acheivable (IMO).

As has been stated, the GFX card doesnt seem to matter with FSX as much as the CPU. Maybe one day with 16 cores all runing at 10ghz you might be able to max everything out, but i think FSX just hasnt been well coded, and we will be at FSX11 before technonolgy is good enough to play FSX well.

Another thing that does effect performance is the add-ons. I get 40fps with high settings using default aircraft, but the wilco 737 will only give me 15fps in the same area. Try then flying in to a busy airport and it turns into a slideshow!

Back
Top Bottom