Speccing a System

Associate
Hi guys, brand new to this forum, have been looking at it every so often recently but thought I'd get more out of it by actually posting.

This is probably too early, but I'm looking to build up a new PC just after Christmas (are there computer component sales?). I haven't built up a computer since I put a top of the range radeon 9800 pro in one! So I'm trying to reaquaint myself with the market.

I'm wanting to spend about £1000 (more if it's worth it) and I'm wanting it to be able to play games well. Also wanting to go down the intel/nVidia route. Don't need mouse, keyboard, speakers etc, just need the actual computer.

Questions:
i5 or i7 / socket 1156 or 1366? Which one future proofs me best in terms of upgrading later on?

Depending on which socket what make/model should the motherboard be?

What RAM specs am I looking for?

How many watts does the PSU need?

I like the look of a GTX 285, is that sensible?

Pretty sure I don't NEED to bother with a sound card, am I right?

Will it always be cheaper to build it up myself, or is it worth getting a premade system? (some OCUK prebuilts look decent)

Anything else I should be considering?

On a separate note (outwith the £1000), my current monitor doesn't have HDMI input, and if I was to get a new one it would have to be full 1080p awesomeness. Is it worth the extra £200+ or could I manage with a DVI/VGA converter or something like that??

Cheers for any help!

Permabanned
Hi there, you might benefit from having a read of this thread
Yeah theres not much point in doing a specific thread this early as you guessed
Re the monitor, if your monitor has DVI, thats the same quality as HDMI, HDMI is just DVI with audio

Associate
i5 or i7 / socket 1156 or 1366? Which one future proofs me best in terms of upgrading later on? core i7 is the most powerful in every aspect.

Depending on which socket what make/model should the motherboard be? it depends, but some u have 1k in your pocket they all should perform the same unless they have a special feature which youd like, for instance Asus have their ASUS bios FlashBack etc.

What RAM specs am I looking for? since your in the i5/i7 territory youl be looking at DDR3, mainly aim for 4 gig or more.

How many watts does the PSU need? depends on what hardware you have installed.

I like the look of a GTX 285, is that sensible? well considering that the 5850 destroys it, its the same price as the 285 and you can crossfire it in the future as well.

Pretty sure I don't NEED to bother with a sound card, am I right? well i say it does increase the quality of sound by a big marjin. but its up 2 you.

Will it always be cheaper to build it up myself, or is it worth getting a premade system? (some OCUK prebuilts look decent) yes most of the time anyway, you can compare it with pre built ones by selecting eahc component and tally up how much theyll cost individually

Anything else I should be considering?
have a nice case, air flow is essential nowadays for performance PC's. if you want you can post your specs then we will see if youve done good :D

have fun

Associate
OP
Re the monitor, if your monitor has DVI, thats the same quality as HDMI, HDMI is just DVI with audio
My monitor is very VGA, I meant that I could use a DVI to VGA converter, im guessing it would look worse?

In terms of a 5850 over a 285 does the radeon support much in the way of backward compatibility for older games, eg KoToR. I'm sure I read that nVidia are better for that.

Also, I agree that a sounds card vastly improves sound quality, but that's something I can buy at a later date!

Back
Top Bottom