Speed camera laws infringe basic rights?

Soldato
SiD the Turtle said:
Hmm I do see your point. Perhaps then the law does need changing though I'd have no idea how to though as its a very difficult thing to manage.

However on the other side as it stands today, I'd still say breaking the speed limit is an offence and by breaking the law you should suffer a penalty, not evade it on some technicallity because you don't agree with it.*

*The general 'you', not you Rilot :D

Edit: :eek: Didn't catch your ninja edit. Perhaps then I'd agree that more cops are better than cameras, but still speeding is an offence no matter who catches you.

If speed cameras are to be used to up hold the law (and the use of cameras and their ineffectiveness at actually doing what they are stated to achieve has already been covered well in this thread) then those using them also have to observe the law as well.

Not only do the use of cameras and NIPs break the basic tenant of 'right to silence' as is being discussed in the European courts at the moment but there are a whole range of other areas where the cameras are misused.

Gatsos are only meant to used to catch cars from the rear, but that doesn't stop some SCAMERA Partnerships from setting them to fire forwards and so only take one photo which is then sent to the driver regardless of the requirement for two.

Other areas set the time delay between the photos to a level other than the required 0.5s, so effectively increasing the distance travelled between the two shots.

The LTI 20-20 is unsuitable for the use of measuring vehicle speed, yet that doesn't stop it from being used. Many partnerships use civilians to operate the vans, yet they cannot give evidence in court, however the primary evidence from a handheld device is the 'suspicion of speeding' from the operator. If he cannot go to court people are being convicted on the back of secondary evidence only.

Back
Top Bottom