Speed tests = Awesome, Real life file downloads, complete underpants?

Soldato
Any help on this before I reset Windows would be appreciated.

All speedtests show connection as expected with low ping, which is great.

Downloads however are another matter. Seem start Ok'ish then start staggering around like a drunk around town :D

THIS ONLY HAPPENS ON ONE PC ON THE NETWORK, others work as expected.

What I have done so far:

• Modem has been replaced.
  • Replaced ethernet cable.
  • Replaced with shorter ethernet cable.
  • Swap tested with known working cable.
  • Uninstalled and deleted software for Intel 1217-V adapter.
  • Installed latest software for network adapter.
  • Uninstalled again and reinstalled.
  • Windows Firewall on/off - No difference
Any ideas please peeps?

Thank you.

Man of Honour
Quick google suggests some people have seen slowdowns and erratic speeds with that adapter after certain Windows 10 updates for no apparent rhyme or reason so even a complete OS reinstall it might be tripping due to a specific patch/update once applied on reinstall if you are using Windows 10.

Have you tried connecting it to a different port on the switch?

Its possible the NIC hardware itself is failing often erratic speeds are a sign of that if there is no other obvious explanation.

Soldato
Virgin Media go check there forums for oversubscription in your area

Oversubscription wouldn't cause only one of his PCs to have the speed issue...

@Gimpymoo try booting a Linux live USB and run the tests again from that. Manjaro, Debian et al. are fast and easy. Other distros can be slower due to being app-heavy and a bit too loaded ('noob friendly'). At least then you can determine whether it's a Windows issue or a hardware issue. If it turns out to be a driver issue on Win10 as suggested above, you could grab a second hand Intel Pro 1000 MT/GT/PT card from an auction site and use that instead? Just an idea.

Soldato
OP
This has been solved.

I had a HDD which failed ages ago, no longer detects as a drive but me being Lazy, never got round to disconnecting it.

I disabled the SATA port in the UEFI (Too lazy to figure out which drive it is in the case) and now all is working OK.

I suppose the duff drive drive was sending duff info to the SATA controller causing some issues?

I did also reinstall NIC drivers again and reset Windows firewall but am certain it was "removing" the duff drive which fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom