Speeding 41 in 30 band B or fixed penalty

Soldato
HI

I really should know this but its not cropped up for so long.

One of my drivers has just recieved a NIP nudge via our hire company

41 in a 30.camera. Now hes panicking.... Wouldn't that normally be dealt with by a fixed penalty. A mate of his has been winding him up about the change in law the other year. But I thought that was only applicable if it went to court.

Don't get me wrong his attitude towards the Police means he could very easily argue his way form a FP to a custodial sentance

Soldato
OP
The bands are only relevant in court, not for FPNs. Assuming he's not on 9 points or something, surely the only way that is going to court is if he doesn't return the NIP or rejects the FPN?
Might even be offered a speed awareness course, 41 in a 30 is on the upper end of the guidelines apparently.

Thanks. Thats what I thought but not having had to deal with this for so long... Things get lost in translation

Soldato
OP
If an employer has knowledge that one fo their drivers is speeding excessively and doesn't take appropriate action then there is a whole woorld of legal and insurance repurcusions.

He'll be getting told. HR are a bit soft. The tracker policy states we only check if we know of an instance. Not to go looking for.
We ahve a simialr issue with using CCTV in the restuarants. We cant use them to check if staff are walking ou the door with stock. But can check if someone says X walked out with Y. But if we see any other instances whilst checking we have to ignore

Soldato
OP
My work vehicles are actively tracked and the software flags speeding. If I did 41 in a 30 I'd be in the office and walking out with at least a final written. If I was the hire firm, you wouldn't be hiring from us again.

If you were working for the Hire firm then chances are you'd be called into an office somewhere. With a fleet of over 1000 vehicles it'll be a big hit to your accounts.

The HR dept came up with the tracking policy without thinking it through. I'm still campaigning for monitoring but they aint budging yet.

Soldato
OP
You miss my point. Poll how many people with a NIP of over (at a guess) 36mph but below 43mph have been offered a SAC from any major force and I suspect if it isn't zero, it's near as dammit. Forces do not tolerate urban speeding, period, so although the "guidance" suggests it, the tolerance of a police force won't. You will do far more damage speeding in an urban area than you will committing the same calculation window on a dual carriageway or motorway and that is why a poxy 4 hour get out of jail free card is often reserved for your 33 to 35mph child killers.

I had an SAC for 40 in 30 hampshire a few years back. Told the copper I thought it was a 40 he said i can see that as I was bang on that speed. Turns out it used to be 40 but they built some offices and a maccys and lowered that section.

Soldato
OP
Out of interest, are we saying those forces mandate a SAC upto 42/43mph? And, if it's not mandated, what then determines if a SAC is offered? Location, fixed or mobile, time of day, day of week, month of year? I'll stick by my experience, which is more than I care to share, that you'll be incredibly fortunate to receive the offer of a SAC over 36mph. I've even had a nip for 33mph in a 30mph before, so where does that fit this little utopia?

Dont you always get a NIP. Then after you've filled it in they either offer you a SAC or a fixed penalty... Or court if your proper naughty

Back
Top Bottom