Spent two to three days in Edinburgh - ** Here's my video **

Associate
Do one (or more) of the vaults tours. Niddry street and Blair street vaults are superb.
A walk around Greyfriars (worth a peek down the Covenanters prison gates, but don't do the tour), and a wander round Grassmarket. If you head over there might want something to eat/drink in the Elephant House - expensive but nice.

Associate
If you're heading up to the museum or the meadows I can recommend Three Birds for food. Tiny little place but oh so good food, it's on Viewforth in Bruntsfield.

Commissario
OP
Had a great time, walked over fifty five miles while I was there and didn't overly eat/drink. I was up nice and early, eating breakfast in a different place at 08:00 each morning with just a small snack or slice of cake around lunchtime. I only had about four or five pints in total and met up with a couple of OcUKers while I was there.

Here's a couple of minutes of video with some of the photographs I took (best viewed HD on YouTube).

Commissario
OP
Looks good a good trip. What was that deep fried monstrosity at 1:02 ?
Oh that's not a monstrosity, that's a haggis supper.
Nice video. Looks like you had a good time and ate well :)
Nice video, looks like you had a good time.
Thanks, I really did.

I did three tours, Mary King's Close and then the two Mercat history tours, the Underground Vaults and the Secrets of the Royal Mile. Out of all three, the Blair Street vaults underground tour was the best but they were all very good.

The weather was kind to me, it was a bit chilly but no real rain to speak of, just a few drops a couple of times. I did climb Arthur's seat - I first walked along Salisbury Crags and then (without realising it) went up the purple path. The steepest and twistiest route up! I had no idea there were other routes and was very surprised to see a simple track back down complete with a hand rail in places. I'd pretty much scrambled all the way to the top.

Soldato
Watching that short video reminded me of my trip there many moons ago when I was a young spotty teenager. We did the Whiskey trail, Oban, Staffa, Mull etc and stopped in Edinburgh for a night before heading back home. What sticks in my mind was a pub/bar that we went into that night we stayed and it was amazing. It was long and thin, with the bar at the top end that had shed loads of bottles of whiskey on display and at the front, down a step or two was a small stage that had a jazz band playing. Smoke in the air (smoking ok back then), background chatter from the guests, clinking of glasses. It was such an experience. Something out of the movies. I would love to go back again but the cost of going there would be more than a week in Turkey for all 3 of us. Hard to justify the price right now. I guess once my little one is older and speaking and can understand some things the price would be justified.

Back
Top Bottom