Spiel 2019

Soldato
It's Spiel next week! I'll be posting updates on the interesting things I see, and if anyone else is stopping by they can add to it.

I bit the bullet and pre-ordered Armata Strigoi. It's kind of a lighter Gloomhaven-style game and co-operative puzzle, but the theme is what grabbed me: players take the roles of members of a real German heavy metal band who have become werewolves so that they can fight vampires. Yes, really. If you want to be a metal drummer breaking a crucifix over Dracula's head, knock yourself out. (Or preferably knock him out.)

Some bad news is that the German embassy has refused visas to five Iranian boardgame companies who were travelling to show off their games, sell a few pre-ordered copies brought in their luggage - they couldn't find a German company that would accept a full stock shipment - and host a panel on the hobby in Iran. A group led by Bruno Faidutti are pushing to get the Germans to relent; the Iranians have sprung €4200 for a booth alone, plus hotels and all of them bringing several extra suitcases. It's a financial hit they may not be able to take, and given that you can't readily import games to Iran it would cripple not just their homegrown industry but the whole hobby.

Associate
Looking forward to your updates. I keep saying I'll head to Spiel one year but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think I may go to the UKGE next year though at least.

I hope they're able to come to some form of agreement, it sounds like a very unfortunate situation to be in.

Back
Top Bottom