Spitfire

Soldato
OP
Sure it wasn't a hurricane?

I was gonna add that in the original post, yes it could have been a hurricane as they are very similar, I think the hurricane was slightly larger. I have tried to Google the sighting but it brought nothing up so I suppose I will never know, just as cool though if it was a hurricane.
Thinking back on it, it flew towards my house from the Humber and did a tight low level u turn and went back the same way, this is in the direction of Lincolnshire where RAF Scampton is located, could have been an air show there as I have seen the memorial flight there myself at an air show sometime ago.

Caporegime
Always great to live near Coningsby. Quite often you see the spitfires. I can remember back in primary school you would quite often see the Lancaster.

Also quite a lot of Typhoons, Ospreys and even the odd Chinook now and again. I can remember once by pure luck I was driving past the airfield and the lights came on indicating a landing and was quite surreal seeing a typhoon coming into land right in front of my windscreen. A lot closer than you would ever see at an air show.

Man of Honour
It seemed that way haha, really low, could see the pilot inside and he was certainly having fun, as soon as I heard it I knew what it was, very cool

"really low" reminded me of something...

There's a clip from a TV documentary about the Spitfire that wasn't included in the TV program but has since became moderately known on Youtube. They asked the pilot to do a low pass to finish the opening sequence, which had the narrator on a flat grassland area in SE England. They hadn't taken into account how low a very skilled and experienced pilot can fly an agile and stable plane over a completely flat area. You can see the pilot pull up to make sure there was no chance of them hitting anyone. Further down the field, they were at about grass level. The camera was on a stand at about 6 feet off the ground and could see over the wings. When they reached the people, they were I'd guess about 20 feet off the ground. At least 10 feet. The narrator...expressed their surprise.

About half of the narration is heartfelt swearing, so I won't link to it here. For anyone who wants to look for it on Youtube, it's called "The original spitfire surprise low pass".

Man of Honour
Best was Ray Hanna who many regards as the best spitfire pilot at the time, flying his spitfire under a local bridge to me (winston) in the 1980s. many locals remember him doing it. They would never do it nowadays under H&S. The bridge has an iron spitfire sculpture on it to commemorate it
[..]

Ray Hanna was also the pilot in that grass-cutting height pass I referred to.

Soldato
If anyone hasn’t been to the Royal International Air Tattoo, I’d highly recommend it if you’re into your fighter aircraft etc(old and new !) I went in 2018 and really enjoyed it. Saw some extremely impressive aircraft (B-2 bomber flyover was incredible) as was the Ukraine Su-27 air display

edit - the flyover with the spitfire , mustang and f35 was awesome too

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm guessing we're under some sort of military flight path.

Just had an osprey fly over again, no idea if it's the same one or not but have been seeing a few a week for the last few months now.

Soldato
Love the Spitfire.

I'm rather fortunate - it's not uncommon to see multiple Spitfires and/or 109's (less common) dogfighting with each other just for fun where I live. Sometimes they bend the rules and get exceedingly low.

Associate
I have lived near Coningsby all my life (in my late 40's now) and you can see the Spits and Hurricanes etc flying most days, weather permitting from March to October. Ive been around the Flight a couple of times over the years. the Hurricane is easy to identify as it has rounded wing tips and is fatter in shape. One of the griffon powered spits flew low over us a couple of weeks ago, fantastic sound.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a Spitfire but one of the most impressive things I've seen and heard was a Lancaster coming in across the south coast and doing a low level fly by the beach. It sent shivers down my spine.
I watched 'Night Bombers' last night, colour footage of a single raid on Berlin in 1943 by 440 Lancasters. Quite chilling stuff.

Caporegime
Amazes me when you go to places like Crete. Went to a petrol station and just off to the side was a complete Messerschmitt Bf 109 sat there where it had crashed during the war. You would think it would have been moved to a museum of something but they just leave them where they crashed.

Soldato
There's a couple of Spitfires that have been adapted for taking a passenger flying out of Biggin Hill in Kent so I see them a fair amount when out golfing. Always look up. Just beautiful!

Quite often see this flying over us at the weekends. Always worth running to to the window to have a look as it goes over

Back
Top Bottom