Splice electrical cables (SONOS)

Associate
I have a pair of SONOS Play Ones up in a room near to the ceiling with power cables embedded in the wall and they pop out/plug in to sockets near the floor.

I’m swapping them for a pair of Play Fives, however the ends that plug into the units are molded differently.

My other problem is I can’t pull the power cables through as the plasterers caught them with a dab or two when I asked for channels to be left.

If all that is different is the actual plastic molding on the ends going into the units can you Splice two cables?

If so any decent products? I could chop the top end off and splice just before the cable connects to the unit(s) with an end that fits.

If not it’s trunking, not the end of the world just unsightly.

Thanks

Associate
OP
PERFECT! thanks all for the replies.

and a Wago junction box.

How important are the junction boxes? I ask as those WAGOs are small enough where I could push the cable and WAGOs back through the brush wall plates I have.

Thanks

Soldato

How important are the junction boxes? I ask as those WAGOs are small enough where I could push the cable and WAGOs back through the brush wall plates I have.

Thanks
The boxes make the connections maintenance free so they can be legitimately be buried in walls or under floors. For your use you’d be ok with a classic piece of choc bloc. When I wanted to chop the plug off a play 1 power lead I bought a new cheap one to butcher and out the real one in the box.

Associate

Thanks

They are important when buried into a wall or floors (lower chance to cause a house fire as it's contained) and general common sense for example, someone could yank it off & could get a buzz off it not knowing it was spliced but with a box its less likely as it holds the cables firmly.

Soldato
I'm surprised you can't use the existing mains lead to pull the new one through. Cut the plugs off and use the old one to pull the new one through. And you know that you can get new IEC C7 connectors to replace the ones on the existing cable? From memory the Play One's are l-shaped and the Play Five is straight.

BeMatik - plug IEC-60320 C7 female straight black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo - that one you have to solder or Furutech make IEC C7 cables that you can just screw down like a normal plug. But I would solder the £2.99 one personally.

Associate
OP
Although the plasterers agreed to dot and dab in such a way the cables could be pulled through, it turned out not to be the case.

Those you linked would fit but they aren't snug and there's some give. The Play 5 connections are molded slightly differently so there's no movement or give.

These 5's are for a pub so going to be cranked up :) so I've ordered some Wagos and junction boxes

sonos5.png

Back
Top Bottom