Splitting audio query

Associate
Hi got a question and hopefully someone can answer.

I have a gig (DJing) coming up soon and have the opportunity to run a massive sound system, however the system comprises of 3 amplifiers and my mixer only has 2 outputs!

I need to know, if I were to split one of the outputs and run the split signal into 2 amplifiers would this cause a volume/quality dip from the speakers against if all 3 had their own channel?

Simple question of physics but can anyone confirm?

Associate
Firstly, how are you planning to split the signal? A simple lead which splits the audio shouldn't affect the output.

Secondly I'd have thought such a system would run a crossover (is it 3 amps - subs, mids, tops?) in which case you'd just have a stereo input into the crossover, which would then split to the three amps.

Ideally such a system should run it's own mixer - crossover - amps. How are you going to limit / monitor levels across the three amps?? DJs often take no notice of amps clipping.

Finally, if you are going straight into the amps, you may need to attenuate them individually to get the balance right if the entire system does not have an EQ. This kind of answers your original query anyway.

Soldato
in some cases you can daisy-chain the amps together, so the signal from your mixer to the 1st amp, then that connects directly to the second, then third.

check to see if the amps have pre-outs, as this will allow you to daisy-chain them

Back
Top Bottom