Splitting HDMI to send video to tv and audio to amp?

Soldato
I got myself a shiny new tv at the weekend and would like to use it with my Denon AVR2113 amp and my Nvidia Shield TV (2015 version)

It works very nice but I do have one minor niggle, although the amp is happy to pass a 4k video signal, it is unable to use the HDR features as it's only HDMI 1.4 compliant what with being about 6 years old.

I've looked into it a bit, and found that there are a lot of different splitters about though seemingly without spending a fortune on a splitter I can't do what I want as it seems most splitters will operate both outputs at the lowest spec of all the hardware connected to it ie it would default to HDMI 1.4 as that's what the amp is.

Has anyone else solved this issue (ideally without spending a fortune or buying a new amp)?

Soldato
I know this is of no use to you - however late last year I was planning my move to 4K/HDR.
I had an old Onkyo Receiver which to be fair was still doing tis job very well. I too was told about splitting video/sound as I believe that only had HDMI 1.3.
In the end, I realised that I didn't have to spend "top dollar" to get a new receiver with the same features as my old one, but also supporting newer standards. I purchased a Yamaha from RS for around £200 which has HDMI 2.0a and once I get my TV (this month or next) it should all just work.
I'm assured the splitting works - but the hassle involved :)

Soldato
Have not done this in practise but my understanding - you can get a £25 4k splitter/stripper that will send required 4K/10bit EDID&handskake to the shield (or other hdcp2.2 10bit/4K source), and splitter strips the hdcp at the output, so you can then send it to both tv(hdmi2.0/hdcp2.2) and AV amp(hdmi 1.4/hdcp2.0)
The AVamp will ignore the hdr metadata which is in the video stream;
of course, will need to ensure you send an audio stream from shield that works with av

edit : maybe you have to limit shield output to 4k/30fps to keeep Gb/s below ~14 supported by hdmi1.4

Last edited:
Associate
i don't have the shield , has it got optical out ? if so could you just not go HDMI to the tv then optical to the amp ?

Soldato
OP
I can't remember if it does or not...lol But even if it did, it would be the same using ARC from the TV back to the amp in that I'd miss out on any of the HD audio formats.

Soldato
or will you consecrate the storage to ripping the full-fat HD track 4Mb/s for Apollo 13

isn't the comparison the same as whether you can tell the difference between a 128Kb/s aac and a flac 500Kb/s from a streamign service ?
DTS-HD Master Audio English 4237 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 4237 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)
DTS Audio Czech 768 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit
effective bitrate from that DTS-HD seems to be 4237/5.5 = 770Kb/s - which I don't get - seems high for lossless

Back
Top Bottom