Sports bike to 'modern classic'?

Soldato
After a 8 year or so hiatus from motorbikes, I'm looking to get back in the saddle so to speak.

I've previously only ridden super sports bikes: R6, ZX6R, Duc 848 Evo and last bike I rode was a GSXR1000RR at a track day in Almeria (last year).

I've had a bit of a paradigm shift and I'm no longer interested in the flashiest, fastest way to demolish an A road, so was looking at getting into something I can enjoy at lower speeds, but still feels decent to ride with a bit of poke. Actually, it was the same reason I just sold my GT3 - it's simply not that fun at regular speeds.

With that in mind, I've been looking at 'modern classic' bikes. The list looks like this:

Triumph:
Thruxton R / RS

Speed Twin 1200

Kawasaki Z900RS SE

BMW R9T

Yamaha XSR900

I love the look of the Triumph and BMW. In its own way I think the Kawasaki looks awesome too, but in a slightly different way. Aesthetically, I like the XSR900 the least, but I suspect it might be the best to ride. I like the idea it's still somewhat sporty, based on the MT09 with quickshifter up and down, but has a classic look about it.

I'll try to arrange some test rides and let you know how I get on. Budget is around 12k max, although I'd prefer to spend less (9-10k). Has anybody got experience with these bikes and have any input?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Forgot to update this. I picked this up at the weekend! Only 650 miles on the clock in 3 years, and a bit of a bargain private sale. The bike is genuinely in "as new" condition.

The 240 mile ride home was a bit laborious without a fairing, and have already ordered some bits and bobs to make it a bit more to my taste. Radiator guard, paddock stand bobbins, and a different seat (the OEM one I don't find comfortable for more than 30 mins).

I went for one from Crafton Atelier. Like this, but diamond stitching. I'll look into a tail tidy but haven't decided yet.

m1 pics

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom