Sports bike to 'modern classic'?

Soldato
After a 8 year or so hiatus from motorbikes, I'm looking to get back in the saddle so to speak.

I've previously only ridden super sports bikes: R6, ZX6R, Duc 848 Evo and last bike I rode was a GSXR1000RR at a track day in Almeria (last year).

I've had a bit of a paradigm shift and I'm no longer interested in the flashiest, fastest way to demolish an A road, so was looking at getting into something I can enjoy at lower speeds, but still feels decent to ride with a bit of poke. Actually, it was the same reason I just sold my GT3 - it's simply not that fun at regular speeds.

With that in mind, I've been looking at 'modern classic' bikes. The list looks like this:

Triumph:
Thruxton R / RS

Speed Twin 1200

Kawasaki Z900RS SE

BMW R9T

Yamaha XSR900

I love the look of the Triumph and BMW. In its own way I think the Kawasaki looks awesome too, but in a slightly different way. Aesthetically, I like the XSR900 the least, but I suspect it might be the best to ride. I like the idea it's still somewhat sporty, based on the MT09 with quickshifter up and down, but has a classic look about it.

I'll try to arrange some test rides and let you know how I get on. Budget is around 12k max, although I'd prefer to spend less (9-10k). Has anybody got experience with these bikes and have any input?

Last edited:
Soldato
I test rode the Z900 non RS a few years back and it did everything well but just didn’t have the fizz factor (power) and ended up with a SD1290R.
For just pootling about town and out on some twisty lanes it was great.
Looks wise I’d go for the Z900RS out of the above.
Like you said the XSR is probably the best to ride or maybe look at the GP version (although that’s probably what you’re trying to get away from?).

Associate
Sounds like you'll be having a fun few weeks! My only suggestion is make sure you have a long enough ride to get in the right mode. Brain wise.

I've had the BMW several times over the years as a courtesy bike. Mostly from a K1300S. I would start riding it and get annoyed I couldn't ride it like my K. But after stopping at a country pub, taking some snaps (it was one with the retro paint and I'm a tart), I got into the right mindset and liked it a lot.

I imagine that last one with the up and down quickshifter will perhaps encourage more crazy riding :p.

Soldato
I've been eyeing up an XSR900 for years since they came out I just can justify it given how much riding I do these days, added to the fact my current bike is perfectly fine.

Don't let it fool you, by all accounts they are a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Soldato
I've been walking past a Z900RS for the last month and am tempted to trade in my current bike for one.

Haven't heard it running though and generally, I find the kwaks a bit tinny feel like they're gonna fall apart.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Forgot to update this. I picked this up at the weekend! Only 650 miles on the clock in 3 years, and a bit of a bargain private sale. The bike is genuinely in "as new" condition.

The 240 mile ride home was a bit laborious without a fairing, and have already ordered some bits and bobs to make it a bit more to my taste. Radiator guard, paddock stand bobbins, and a different seat (the OEM one I don't find comfortable for more than 30 mins).

I went for one from Crafton Atelier. Like this, but diamond stitching. I'll look into a tail tidy but haven't decided yet.

m1 pics

Last edited:
Caporegime
A day later... And???

Nothing.... yet.

Went to Superbike Factory in Milton Keynes. Sat on quite a few bikes, Ducati Scrabmler 800, Triumph Speed Twin, Speedmaster, Bobber, BMW R-Nine T, Rebel 1100.

Left none the wiser, except that the Speed Twin was not the one. Just didn't feel right.

Then on the way home a chap on an Sv650 comes past us and I start thinking. I can buy one of those cash tomorrow for like £2k.

So I did what any bloke would do, went home, grabbed a beer, watched a load of vids on the SV650 and started browsing ebay. And what's where I'm at now.

Gonna clear out the garage today whilst the grey matter does its thing and if it makes sense by the end of today I'll probably go buy one next weeked, or even sooner if I can blag a day off this week :p

Man of Honour
Nothing.... yet.

Went to Superbike Factory in Milton Keynes. Sat on quite a few bikes, Ducati Scrabmler 800, Triumph Speed Twin, Speedmaster, Bobber, BMW R-Nine T, Rebel 1100.

Left none the wiser, except that the Speed Twin was not the one. Just didn't feel right.

Then on the way home a chap on an Sv650 comes past us and I start thinking. I can buy one of those cash tomorrow for like £2k.

So I did what any bloke would do, went home, grabbed a beer, watched a load of vids on the SV650 and started browsing ebay. And what's where I'm at now.

Gonna clear out the garage today whilst the grey matter does its thing and if it makes sense by the end of today I'll probably go buy one next weeked, or even sooner if I can blag a day off this week :p
I've decided I'm not going to buy until my injury money comes through. I was expecting it by now but it's taking forever. It's still held up by one of the medical consultants writing a report. A Speed Twin is high on my list of likely bikes and probably the one I will end up with. But like you I keep wondering if I should just buy something cheaper like the SV650. Another bike I keep pondering over is an older CB500X. It's nothing exciting but does everything well, is cheap to run, maintain, insure and can be had for very little money.

I did a day trip to Scotland on Friday night (dropped my daughter off at the Taylor Swift Edinburgh concert and she has a student flat in York so we were both already halfway up the country). While Edinburgh was just like any other large city the countryside drive in the lower part of Scotland was lovely and got me really wanting to do some motorbike camping in the future. I haven't seen enough of the UK and I'm getting older so something like a CB500X would make sense.

I've resigned myself to probably missing the riding season again this year as the injury claim is taking literally years.

Caporegime
I've decided I'm not going to buy until my injury money comes through. I was expecting it by now but it's taking forever. It's still held up by one of the medical consultants writing a report. A Speed Twin is high on my list of likely bikes and probably the one I will end up with. But like you I keep wondering if I should just buy something cheaper like the SV650. Another bike I keep pondering over is an older CB500X. It's nothing exciting but does everything well, is cheap to run, maintain, insure and can be had for very little money.

I did a day trip to Scotland on Friday night (dropped my daughter off at the Taylor Swift Edinburgh concert and she has a student flat in York so we were both already halfway up the country). While Edinburgh was just like any other large city the countryside drive in the lower part of Scotland was lovely and got me really wanting to do some motorbike camping in the future. I haven't seen enough of the UK and I'm getting older so something like a CB500X would make sense.

I've resigned myself to probably missing the riding season again this year as the injury claim is taking literally years.

Just buy something man. You can get something like this and sell it later on for pretty much no loss. As for the 500x, a guy at work has one and every time I walk out the office I see it standing there, and it's put me off them completely. The proportions are all wrong, the front wheel is much larger than the rear so it just looks like a penny farthing. The actual heart of the bike is actually quite small so the forks just look spindly and wrong. I'm sure it's a great bike but not for me. That engine however is perfect in the Rebel.

Soldato
......... Another bike I keep pondering over is an older CB500X. It's nothing exciting but does everything well, is cheap to run, maintain, insure and can be had for very little money.

I once made this mistake and bought a bike based on it's practicalities and reviews as a sensible bike. It was a Honda CB450 so not that different to the CB500 in many respects and was as boring and soleless to ride as only Honda know how to make a bike. I will never again buy a bike whose main features are advertised as being practical and / or sensible, especially a Honda, for fear that all of the fun and enjoyment of riding will be sucked out of the experience.

It's totally your choice which you need to make based on your personal circumstances but the fact that you've already identified the CB500 as lacking any excitement made me want to try to steer you away from making the same mistake I did. An SV650 would be so much better.

Before anyone suggest otherwise I'm not Honda bashing but in their pursuit of perfection they can tend to eliminate anything that gives a bike character, there are quite a few exceptions though, the original Fireblade was a fantastic bundle of fun.

Last edited:
Soldato
Forgot to update this. I picked this up at the weekend! Only 650 miles on the clock in 3 years, and a bit of a bargain private sale. The bike is genuinely in "as new" condition.

The 240 mile ride home was a bit laborious without a fairing, and have already ordered some bits and bobs to make it a bit more to my taste. Radiator guard, paddock stand bobbins, and a different seat (the OEM one I don't find comfortable for more than 30 mins).

I went for one from Crafton Atelier. Like this, but diamond stitching. I'll look into a tail tidy but haven't decided yet.

m1 pics
Lovely! Congrats. I've been flip flopping between this and an xsr900 for months now - test ridden both of them and find the xsr a lot better to ride but the speed twin looks and sounds sooo good.
Want them both hah

Back
Top Bottom