Sports Coupe ideas

Soldato
Hi all.

I'm in the market for a new car soon. I have decided upon a coupe. My wife has her driving test on Monday, and all being well if she passes, she can have the family car for our son etc. And I can get a coupe. So potentially 2 seaters are an option.

So far I have test driven a MX-5 RF and a 370Z Nismo. Both had good points and bad points, for totally different reasons.

I'm after ideas and inspiration for other options.

Here is a pic of the two I've tried so far. (both parked on my driveway)

P.S. I prefer to buy new!

aaacar.jpg

Soldato
OP
Fox, I didn't ask about opinions on these cars. I have my own opinions formed already. I asked for advice on what other coupé car options that are available.

Also max budget is £40,000 but I'd prefer to aim for around £30,000 but for the right car I could go for £40,000

Soldato
OP
Arent they quite different in terms of performance/price though?

I mean do you want 325 or 160bhp!

It is difficult to guage what you want when you have those two on the same shortlist.

That's the issue, I'm not sure which I want. I enjoyed both cars but for very different reasons. I currently don't have any real preference, this is why I'm struggling so much with what to consider.

Soldato
OP
MX-5 RF
Good points
  • Fun
  • Good economy
  • Exterior looks ace
  • Steering is spot on
  • Love the retractable hard top, even if UK only gives 5 days weather a year for it
Bad points
  • Poor power-performance at high speeds
  • No storage space... and yes the 370z won that battle - would would have thought it.
  • Brakes were very poor, but they can be upgraded

370z
Good points
  • Noise is ace
  • Power performance is great, even at 90mph it pulls like a train
  • Reasonable storage for a 2 seater coupe
Bad points
  • economy with fuel
  • Car from 2009 and the design age is showing a little
  • Having all the tech gadgets adds to the price by £5k

Soldato
OP
I don't like BMW 2 or 4 series, I find that they are boring cars to look at. Fox will not like this I assume, because of his clear love of BMW's.
I don't have anything against them, I just find they are bland to look at.

A GT86 could be a decent choice, but I have read they are rather thirsty cars at only 200 bhp. I don't have a problem with a low mpg if the power is there to go with it. Maybe I'm wrong though?

A Z4 was a viable option, but I've read that they have can have various mechanical issues at 30k miles onwards.

I'd love a GT-R but I don't fancy spending over £40k. To be honest I'm shying away from wanting to spend over £35k. The main reason for new is the option for a PCP deal, I think PCP allows for a higher car cost whilst not costing too much per month.

Originally I was not a fan of PCP, but I've looked into it more and it seems that it's actually not that bad a deal. The balloon payment was always my bug at the end, but after working out what a 60 month HP loan costs and what a PCP loan costs the different is not a lot if you work out the PCP payments x 36months and then a PL for the balloon payment over 2 years (so same as the 5 years on HP), mostly due to the higher dealership contribution on the PCP deposit.

I can get a personal loan for 2.9% for £25,000. Total repayment = £26,861.40

Or I can get a PCP agreement for a £30,000-£35,000 car, but then I have to buy new.
For example PCP for £32k with a 2k deposit, and 2k dealership fund, and a 36month repayment and a final balloon for £15,000 works out at £35,326.

The monthly payments on the PL = £447 a month
The monthly payments on the PCP = £451 a month with a balloon payment which if I got a 3 year loan if I wanted to keep the car would be £434 x 36 monthly payments.

So basically a £25k car on a PL = £447 for 60months = £26861.40 total repaid
Or a £32k car on PCP with 2k from me, and 2k from dealer and then a PL for balloon payment = £451 x 36 and £434 x 36, averaging at £442.50 over 72 months. = £33,860 total repaid

The monthly payments and the cost over the car you pay back seems much and such the same now I've worked it all out.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Biased opinion, but Elise? Nothing else drives remotely like it (try one!). Exciting every time you get in (if you can get in, they're a bit tight for taller or larger folk).

If not practical enough, I'd go for a GT86 but not new, you'd save a packet by getting a low interest loan on a well looked after used model. Fun to drive at legal speeds, great driving position in my view and 'enough' power.

I considered an Elise, but at 5"11 and 110kg I will certainly struggle.

Soldato
OP
Regarding the 370z Nismo. I've had a chat with a Nissan dealer (one not local to me after using carwow) and they are offering a big discount in the actual buy price if I go down PCP route, they are offering the car to me for £32,000 (list price is £39K). I'm seeing 2nd hand models with 5000 miles on the clock listed at £33-£35k currently.

My local Nissan dealer was only willing to know off £1000 from the list price.

2nd hand cars I cannot get PCP so HP/PL budget is £25k that doesn't get me most of the car suggestions here.

Back
Top Bottom