Sports Coupe ideas

Soldato
Hi all.

I'm in the market for a new car soon. I have decided upon a coupe. My wife has her driving test on Monday, and all being well if she passes, she can have the family car for our son etc. And I can get a coupe. So potentially 2 seaters are an option.

So far I have test driven a MX-5 RF and a 370Z Nismo. Both had good points and bad points, for totally different reasons.

I'm after ideas and inspiration for other options.

Here is a pic of the two I've tried so far. (both parked on my driveway)

P.S. I prefer to buy new!

aaacar.jpg

Soldato
OP
Fox, I didn't ask about opinions on these cars. I have my own opinions formed already. I asked for advice on what other coupé car options that are available.

Also max budget is £40,000 but I'd prefer to aim for around £30,000 but for the right car I could go for £40,000

Caporegime
Arent they quite different in terms of performance/price though?

I mean do you want 325 or 160bhp!

It is difficult to guage what you want when you have those two on the same shortlist.

Soldato
OP
Arent they quite different in terms of performance/price though?

I mean do you want 325 or 160bhp!

It is difficult to guage what you want when you have those two on the same shortlist.

That's the issue, I'm not sure which I want. I enjoyed both cars but for very different reasons. I currently don't have any real preference, this is why I'm struggling so much with what to consider.

Soldato
Usually helps if you list the good/bad of each of the ones listed above otherwise it would be pointless trying to suggest something if it already has a major bad point from above.

Toyota GT86
BMW 135i
BMW M240i
Audi TT

So really you want us to google a list of Coupe cars?

Soldato
OP
MX-5 RF
Good points
  • Fun
  • Good economy
  • Exterior looks ace
  • Steering is spot on
  • Love the retractable hard top, even if UK only gives 5 days weather a year for it
Bad points
  • Poor power-performance at high speeds
  • No storage space... and yes the 370z won that battle - would would have thought it.
  • Brakes were very poor, but they can be upgraded

370z
Good points
  • Noise is ace
  • Power performance is great, even at 90mph it pulls like a train
  • Reasonable storage for a 2 seater coupe
Bad points
  • economy with fuel
  • Car from 2009 and the design age is showing a little
  • Having all the tech gadgets adds to the price by £5k

Soldato
Your budget is too high for the cars you are considering imo.

New Merc C Class C300 AMG Line are discounted to circa 30k at the moment from SW Mercedes (carwow)

That is a very nice place to be plus practical albeit not that quick and if considering PCP great pm figures due to high residuals.

Otherwise the BMW 240/440 again helped by the deals and residuals. The M240i is almost the no-brainer option here.

The Nissan 370z still has something about it but even discounted it seems like a lot of money when buying new. It's a z car so has its own following and market. Always going to be appreciated so the compromises can be worth it.

Mazda MX-5 is in a completely different class to the above cars really.

Top of your budget should get you a 6-12 month old Jag F Type.

Soldato
If you liked the RF, try the Abarth 124 Spider. I know it's a soft-top, but I found it far more entertaining and gratifying than the Mazda - primarily because of its turbocharged engine. Or buy a GT86, which handles much better and is a proper coupe.

M240i is a sound suggestion - but just don't track them in standard form, haha. They don't like long sweeping bends at higher speeds, it transpires...

Associate
I had a similar problem when looking for a new car, it felt like there wasn't actually that much choice.

My shortlist was:
GT86
MX-5 RF
370Z Nismo
Z4M
M235/M240i

Caporegime
I'd consider a discounted M240i or 440i M sport.

Can get significant discounts off list, up to 10k iirc.

Is that 10k off list you mentioned just for the 440i? I have found that, but can't see anywhere with 10k off a 240i - seems to be more like £5k off the 240i (but i might just be reading it wrong and you may have meant just 10k on the 440i).

Back
Top Bottom