Squeaking noise when pulling off.

Soldato
Always when I pull off/out first thing I get a fairly loud squeaking noise. It sounds like if you ran something down a blackboard sort of thing, your nails etc.

It doesn't happen much when I drive, it would be if I turn or again am pulling off after stopped.

It's only started over last few days and getting mildly worse.

I'm thinking clutch release bearing that seems what Google points too and according to garage months ago the clutch biting point is high. They didn't 100% say I needed a new clutch asap as I didn't actually ask just that I may soon.

So is this noise likely the clutch?

I also had a front wheel bearing changed a few months ago so was wondering if that could be playing up?

I also had a front ball joint advisory on last MOT about 8 months ago so could it be that?

Any way to test?

Associate
Had a similar thing and that was clutch release bearing. I just put up with it as the clutch was sound but if your clutch is on the way out then it's a good time to get it sorted.

Soldato
Does the noise increase with engine revs? or car speed? If engine revs it's most likely to be serpentine belt(s), if car speed then probably something to do with brakes, like a small stone in the caliper somewhere, or that the brake pads themselves have glazed - a few hard stops will sort that out.

If you had a front ball joint advisery, usually this means the CV boot has split, that will mean the grease can leak out and leave the CV joint dry.. This will cause a squeak as well, but it's something that you need looking at as it can be dangerous if it lets go at motorway speeds.. look under the car, the MOT will say if it's near/offside inner/outer ball joint, look underneath for signs of leaking grease, or open cracks in the CV boot, if should be obvious.

Back
Top Bottom