Ssd install losing will to live

Associate
Bought a new ssd 2 weeks ago and still haven't successfully installed windows 10 . Used the create media tool and save to my USB . Managed to get it to install once after multiple attempts and now after pressing restart the thing won't boot . Now wiped ssd and started again with install . How do I make sure when I turn it off it will definitely boot up ? Cheers

RJC

RJC

Don
What is exactly happening when you press the start button?

The system may be looking at a non bootable drive so make sure you have no other drives installed and check the BIOS for boot priority.

Associate
OP
Pc been running half an hour and Just hit restart as per its suggestion to finish updates and it's just revooted with only a flashing character space on a black screen and nothing happens . I went into bios and the Kingston is the 1st boot device ? Waiting to see if it does anything

Soldato
Disconnect all other drives except the SSD, boot off your install USB, install Windows from scratch, wiping all previoius partitions and let it install to default partition setup. The just let it run, it can sometimes take a long time.

Associate
OP
That's what I did before. Only ssd and USB to install and each time I switch it off it never starts up again just checked and it's still on a black screen with flashing space been 20 minutes now how long should it be taking ? I was on Internet and updates had finished hence I restarted it within windows

maj

maj

Soldato
Could be a corrupt MBR. Or try F8 and last know working config. How did you wipe the SSD the first time round? Use diskpart clean command would be my suggestion if you try again. I'm assuming you've set sata mode to AHCI in bios?

Associate
OP
The ssd was blank when I first installed being new when I tried it after installing a second time I used the disk management to format the drive . I've now set the data mode to achi but still not booting will try again installing . Once installed is there something I should do to ensure reboot ?

Soldato
In the BIOS, rather than set the Kingston ssd to boot, you should have a Windows boot loader option if using win10, so select this. Also as previously advised, unplug all other disks. What motherboard is it? Are you installing 32 or 64 bit?

Associate
OP
Don't know what the windows boot loader is . When I used my hard drive only the hard drive is set to boot and loads fine . All other disks are unplugged . The mother board is MSI 760GM-P23(FX) (MS-7641) 64 bit . If I use 2.2tb infinity as boot itbloads after asking where to boot from

Associate
OP
Managed to get onto windows multiple times but only by selecting the drive once the 2.2 infinity allows me to select the ssd to boot . If I put it as 1st in boot order it does nothing at all . Windows works on drive but just won't automatically boot

Associate
OP
does the disk have to be in MBR or GPT when initialising . my bios is UEFI. my HDD was in MBR format and my SSD has been setup as GPT ? Ive posted this from the windows on my SSD my current issue is booting automatically. As stated above I need to load the boot bit on the 2.2 infinity and select Kingston where as placing it in boot order 1 it just doesn't boot.

Associate
OP
JW9kkx.jpg
current disk setup

Associate
Somebody more knowledgeable than me will probably know but I think your problem is there's unallocated space at the start of the disk causing you not to be able to setup the disk as mbr.
I'd disconnect the 2.2tb and reinstall Windows 10 onto the ssd but during the install process make sure to delete all partitions already on there. Make it so as the entire disk shows as unallocated space.
BTW that motherboard doesn't have uefi bios.

Associate
OP
Somebody more knowledgeable than me will probably know but I think your problem is there's unallocated space at the start of the disk causing you not to be able to setup the disk as mbr.
I'd disconnect the 2.2tb and reinstall Windows 10 onto the ssd but during the install process make sure to delete all partitions already on there. Make it so as the entire disk shows as unallocated space.
BTW that motherboard doesn't have uefi bios.

Think this being the 4th time i was lazy and left that there i have done it 3 times before with no unallocated space left to no avail. I can set the SSD as either MBR or GPT using my other hard drive on disk management but neither has made any difference. the 2.2tb isnt plugged in/ a hard drive its a feature of the board from what i have read. Currently without it i cant load the windows off the ssd as it takes me to the black screen to pick boot device. When i look at the system info it shows BIOS as uefi although i thought it didnt have it. will take a screen shot tonight.

Thinking of abandoning this windows install and stick with my HDD as its been 2 weeks without any progress and unsure what i should do

Associate
Disable 2.2tb Infinity in bios, it's not required unless you have a larger than 2tb drive. Reboot and clear the ssd and reinstall Windows 10. Apparently if you've installed the O/S with 2.2tb enabled you won't be able to boot except from that splash screen.

Associate
OP
Disable 2.2tb Infinity in bios, it's not required unless you have a larger than 2tb drive. Reboot and clear the ssd and reinstall Windows 10. Apparently if you've installed the O/S with 2.2tb enabled you won't be able to boot except from that splash screen.
Cheers it's finally sorted I owe you one !! Disabled infinity and installed Windows. Boots each time without fail ! :)

Back
Top Bottom