Stairs / Skirting transition - any suggestions?

Associate
My daughter is re-doing the house they bought earlier this year, and has a tricky transition from the top of the stairs stringer (with moulding on top) to the new skirting board.

It's particularly difficult because the stringer is much thicker, and sticks out further than the skirting.

I'm struggling to think of a decent way to make this look decent. Any suggestions...?

stairs.jpg

For those types of transitions, I’d say you’ve got a couple of options, neither of which are perfect, so it’ll be personal taste…

1. If the skirting can be removed, trim the end of it at a 45 degree angle (top to bottom), only taking about 50% of the depth off the skirting if that makes sense, just to take the sharp transition away.

2. Might be possible to add a piece of skirting along the top of the stair finial, so it gives the appearance of the skirting continuing for a bit. The end of it could then be either done as above, or trimmed to match the angle that of the stair finial, at the point where the stair finial slopes away. You could possibly even remove the moulding on the top of the stair finial to make this look smoother.

Another option is a square piece of moulding between the two as a transition. Although it's not a great solution - much like above it's the best of a bad situation

I think it would depend on how much time you want to spend on it.

If I were really picky and had the time I'd lop off the top of the stringer all the way down the stairs and cut new a section of the skirting to produce the top only, then apply that to the stringer. The difference in thickness could be dealt with a gradual reduction in thickness at the top of the stairs.

Something like this:

s!Ahf7xhLzGq1QsBQNpGx46pO49Amk

Cut the top beading from the stringer, cut the beading from an off cut of skirting board to replace the stringer beading you just cut off from the stringer.

A bit like Mysterae_ image but without the skirting on the angled stringer or the skirting on top of the skirting running on from the stringer.

Then just angle/shape the beading from the skirting board that's been added to the top of the stringer in whatever way is most pleasing to the eye. (follow the stringer beading shape into the newly added beading or just angle it) (maybe add the beading you cut off from the top of the stringer vertically to where it butts up to the skirting)

4w9LFJU.png

I would cut an angle out of the skirting to align with the top of the stair trim, then use a sander to blend in the lines so it transitions from one to the other. Bead of caulk around it to cover the edges/gaps.

Multitool will cut/sand that in situ.

Lop off the top of the stair bit to where it itself switches from angle of matching the stairs to going horizontal.
Cut a piece of skirting to sit on top of it that continues the angle to match the stair rise, and the a piece of the top of the skirting to sit to join to the proper skiriting.

So it looks kinda like dan has suggested, but the angled bit is to the right of the picture not where the level part of the skirting is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I also did a bit of research on various DIY / building trade forums and the situation I faced (i.e. with different heights, thicknesses and profiles) was pretty much a worst-case scenario. Given that my daughter wanted something with the least impact (i.e. not ripping off and replacing the existing moulding) and which could be done quickly, I opted for the 'plinth block' approach which just uses a chamfered block to provide a clean break between the two profiles.
stairs_top.jpg

and matching one at the bottom:

stairs_bottom.jpg

You'll see that the thickness is completely different, as the stair stringer sticks out at least 1cm more from the wall at the top of the stairs than at the bottom :cry: Given the amount of 'wonk' going on in their house I suspect that they presence of a couple of plinth blocks will never even be noticed and will actually look OK when caulked and painted white.

method 2 is what i always used on site.Just my preference :)
Method 2 is exactly what I suggested. OP's method looks fine.

Back
Top Bottom