'Stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope'

Man of Honour
Hi team,

It's my 'tard question of the day. I need to send off my passport to get a visa and the embassy in question requests that I send my documentation along with a 'stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope' so they can return it to me.

I assume this is as simple as simply asking the post office to do this for me? I was unaware that sure a procedure existed...!

I hope that it's cheap...? :o

Cheers :)

Permabanned
The envelope shouldn't cost, but I'm not sure as I only see them in the mail room at work. It's posting that costs, and I'm not sure you can prepay special delivery due to the weight?

Just ask at the counter.

Associate
You buy them from the post office. It's basically a big A4+ plastic wallet that you write your address on, and you can fold it up and put it in another envelope to send to someone else.

I think you can only use them for things under 500g. Pricing is just the same as special delivery.

Soldato
The PO will do it for you.

It's a self addressed special delivery envelope where the PO will stick stamps on matching the cost of the embassy sending it back. Stamps basically are the currency being used to pay for the return.

Associate
The PO will do it for you.

It's a self addressed special delivery envelope where the PO will stick stamps on matching the cost of the embassy sending it back. Stamps basically are the currency being used to pay for the return.

Obviously different post offices do it in a different way :).

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks guys, seems like it's a case of common sense.

I'm such an over worrier, it's pitiful at times, I blame my old work colleagues for giving me a complex!!

Aod

Aod

Soldato
You buy them from the post office. It's basically a big A4+ plastic wallet that you write your address on, and you can fold it up and put it in another envelope to send to someone else.

I think you can only use them for things under 500g. Pricing is just the same as special delivery.

This has always been my experience - several times I've had to do this (all at different post offices) and this is what's happened.
It'll cost about £4 ish if i recall.

All good, no worries. make sure you use a ballpoint pen to write out your address though!

Associate
We have to buy these when we get our visa for Goa. But be careful...

The Post Office have pre-paid and unpaid envelopes. The visa centre will want a pre-paid one. I didn't realise they did both and when I sent someone to the post office to buy a loads of stamps and get two SDE I didn't tally up the money against the stamps and envelopes. When I surrendered them to the post office the counter clerk asked for the postal fee, which I thought I'd already paid. I had to buy two at the counter and undo the bundled envelope, fill out the enclosed one and then get back in the queue.

Take note of the serial number of the one you enclose because sometimes (certainly for Goa) you will need to use that number to track your return SDE with the post office.

A few years ago we sent our visa applications to the Indian High Commission in Birmingham (they don't do postal applications anymore) and waited and waited. Eventually the wife phoned the High Commission and they told her that they had despatched them by SDE some four weeks previously. PANIC. The High Commsssion gave her the SDE number and when the wife checked it on the Royal Mail tracking service it showed a signature of someone who had signed for our passports.

The next day we went to our local Royal Mail Depot and the envelope was just laying on their shelf. As far as Royal Mail was concerned the package had been delivered to our house and signed for. They even stated that they had tried to deliver, no one was at home, had left a "come to the depot and collect card" at the house. They then said that two weeks later they had come to the house (there's only me and the wife and we both work) and obtained a signature!! My reply was "Well, if you got a signature for the passports, why are they still laying on your shelf"

If you are going to India, we have just noticed that this year applicants have to enclose ONE SDE per individual. Previously an enclosed SDE could be used for two applications.

Happy holiday

Back
Top Bottom