Stand alone speaker

Associate
Hi all, my first post so apologies if I am in the wrong place.
I have an old Wharfedale 506 speaker, 8 ohm,15-75w that I would like to use as battery powered sounder from my iphones music library by putting a bluetooth receiver inside the speaker with a mono amp. One problem maybe summing the L &R signals from the bluetooth Rx to produce a good mono output. I don't plan to spend a lot, anyone done this? If so how did it go?

Soldato
Just buy a portable speaker.

If you plan to do this you'll need
A battery
Charging circuit and protection
Charging port
D class Amplifier with stereo to mono downmix

Concern with home made electronics in box with acoustic padding. Etc

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply, in many ways you’re right to just buy new but I have the speaker and battery and like to learn something along the way…..hadn’t thought about a fire hazard though

Soldato
thanks for the reply, in many ways you’re right to just buy new but I have the speaker and battery and like to learn something along the way…..hadn’t thought about a fire hazard though

You could buy a 2nd one and remove all the bits you need from it to make you own

Associate
OP
I assumed all those “portable” speakers had two loud speakers making a poor stereo sound, but if they use a single speaker(combining L&R) that might work if they suit an 8ohm impedance?

Associate
OP
no one seems keen on my plan! I can see why. I ‘m sure there are lots of pairs of stereo speakers with one blown up by over enthusiastic volume settings from years ago.
The board you mentioned would only amplify one channel either L or R, I need one that would receive a stereo signal, combine the two, then feed to a mono amp.
Since thinking about this someone suggested using an iphone which can be set to send a mono bluetooth signal, it is the phone I planned to use as the source. There are lots of stereo bluetooth receiver/amp boards available (AliExpress) for less than £10 which could then give mixed stereo (mono)output from either channel. Or use the board you suggested, with the phone’s mixed output. Any helpful contributions welcome

Associate
OP
I bought a ZK301B 30w mono amp with 5.3 Bluetooth, with a volume control and on/ off, from AliExpress. Its tiny,about 50x45x25mm. Cost £6.28 including p&p. Sound quality and volume are pretty are good.

Back
Top Bottom