Standing Charge

Soldato
We switched in September last year and I think they've put prices up 4 times since.

This seems to be a growing tactic by a lot of utility suppliers now. I took out an 18 month contract with Sky broadband, within 6 weeks they sent a letter saying prices were to go up by £1/month. If I hadn't already negotiated a good deal to begin with I would have happily cancelled the contract.

Associate
OP
I took out an 18 month contract with Sky broadband, within 6 weeks they sent a letter saying prices were to go up by £1/month.
Commented to a friend this morning that hidden in the small print on Sky's TV advert it said something like "prices may vary during contract period" I wonder if you'd have had the right to cancel?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
This seems to be a growing tactic by a lot of utility suppliers now. I took out an 18 month contract with Sky broadband, within 6 weeks they sent a letter saying prices were to go up by £1/month. If I hadn't already negotiated a good deal to begin with I would have happily cancelled the contract.

I wonder if its spawned from the 'cap your energy' type contracts where you have to pay for the locked price?

Seems a shame as all its doing it making a case for predictable fake pricing structures to lure you in then a price hike or three over your contract term.

Associate
I think I said before but I fixed at 12.6p for electric and 2.6p for gas, I am looking at the cheapest fix deal being around 20p which when I am using almost 1000k/w a month is going to cost me big time. Any idea what could be using so much power, we have a normal three bedroom house, although there are 5 people living in it I dont think we should be using much more than the average, we use the dryer a bit and i dont turn my PC off because its so old now it propbably wont turn on again but apart from that I suppose the working from home is added a bit. Anywhere that's doing any decent deals that include any extras for around the 20p unit rate of electric? I see BG are doing a boiler cover for free (99 excess)

EDIT -sorry wrong thread :(

Soldato
Got a similar email from outfox the market. They were dirt cheap when we moved to them, increased prices in April, still cheap, now going up again.

Moved to British gas, slightly more expensive at the moment (not by much), but fixed for a couple of a years, during which time I expect prices to go up all over, so would rather take the fix now.

Back
Top Bottom