*** Starfield ***

Soldato
Thought worth a dedicated thread as likely to be playing this for years to come and I need people to talk to :)

Only couple of hours in, liking it so far, was going to wait for Wednesday but watched a bunch of videos and listened to a ton of podcasts and reviews and had couldn't resist jumping in early.

Got the upgrade pack for £17 via the Icelandic Xbox store which gives the future DLC and a few other digital goodies

Soldato
Appreciate the thread, hopefully means spoilers will not appear in the main xbox one.

I'll have time tomorrow to properly assess but initial reaction to the game is mixed. The 30fps cap is quite a hard pill to swallow and I'm hoping my eyesight can cope but the graphics in general are either brilliantly detailed or clouded in fog or washed out when viewing on my OLED CX. Little to none tutorial either as far as I could tell but my that's my own fault for not actually checking the controller setup in the menus.

Playing on SX.

Associate
Appreciate the thread, hopefully means spoilers will not appear in the main xbox one.

I'll have time tomorrow to properly assess but initial reaction to the game is mixed. The 30fps cap is quite a hard pill to swallow and I'm hoping my eyesight can cope but the graphics in general are either brilliantly detailed or clouded in fog or washed out when viewing on my OLED CX. Little to none tutorial either as far as I could tell but my that's my own fault for not actually checking the controller setup in the menus.

Playing on SX.
I'll be trying this out on xbsx via gamepass when it drops. I'm hoping we get a 60fps patch down the line even if it means lower res or draw distance - I would much rather have 60fps with potato gfx than high res with 30fps.

Soldato
Had a good play on Starfield today. This game is going to be vast. I’ve spent a day on it already and I’m still only level 3.

But I’ve already explored a planet, set up an outpost, stormed and commandeered an enemy ship, cleared out pirates from abandoned research sites, and killed a massive alien thing that was level 10 and a total bullet sponge!

I’ve just landed in a space port type place (part of the main story) registered my commandeered ship and hopped on a train to go and see someone as part of the story. I’ve put it down for now but it’s got huge Skyrim vibes and is playing well all things considered. The attention to detail is brilliant.

For me, because I get side tracked with exploring, I reckon this game will probably need 20-30 hrs to get going.

I remember I put ~350hrs into Skyrim back in the day, so Starfield is likely to easily be something similar I reckon.

Soldato
It’s good, early on and it seems like there is absolutely tons to do and explore. Graphically it’s good apart from the some of the outside areas, they can look quite average, but indoor areas and parts that they have worked on look good, think it’s just the procedurally generated areas that can look a little average.

Associate
It's certainly scratching my space game itch, I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the performance - it looks good and runs smoothly. I know the 30fps is divisive but I'll take that over inconsistent performance and juddering. Most amazingly I haven't experienced a single bug; whisper it, but has this Bethesda game actually been properly QA'd?! ;)

Soldato
OP
It’s good, early on and it seems like there is absolutely tons to do and explore. Graphically it’s good apart from the some of the outside areas, they can look quite average, but indoor areas and parts that they have worked on look good, think it’s just the procedurally generated areas that can look a little average.
I'm not far in myself but the sceptical gamer review highlighted the amount of cookie cutter outposts and the like. It's fine initially but after a few dozen hours will be highly obvious. I don't mind procedural generation but an exact locations with the same baddies in the same place, that's just lazy.

A good example he flagged was some abandoned mine. At the end of the mine an alient skull is embeded in the rock, you can't do anything with it and not story related or anything but seemed cool at first and you think about what happened there. But when you find the exact same mine, with the same skull but on another planet a couple of hours later it's a bit disappointing.

Soldato
I'm not far in myself but the sceptical gamer review highlighted the amount of cookie cutter outposts and the like. It's fine initially but after a few dozen hours will be highly obvious. I don't mind procedural generation but an exact locations with the same baddies in the same place, that's just lazy.

A good example he flagged was some abandoned mine. At the end of the mine an alient skull is embeded in the rock, you can't do anything with it and not story related or anything but seemed cool at first and you think about what happened there. But when you find the exact same mine, with the same skull but on another planet a couple of hours later it's a bit disappointing.

Indeed, I hate the copy/paste stuff, I think they could have limited the exploration slightly to negate this perhaps.

Soldato
From my thoughts in the pc game thread but it gets lost in the hardware/bug/mod discussion. I’m mainly playing the console version at the mo.

Dream House Perk - Nothing comes close to this home that I have found. You can buy the materials to build the in-home items from various vendors. Build storage crates and other useful kit early on. Storage management is very challenging otherwise as game progresses. It costs 500 credits per week on a no obligation pay as you go basis which you can easily get in a few mins from selling loot, or 125k to buy outright (not essential).

Lock Picking and Stealth skills are surprisingly useful from very early on but that is my personal play style preference. Many rooms and crates cannot be accessed without being able to pick the locks.

Some essentials early on as soon as through the first main quests to The Old Neighbourhood:

The Mantis Questline for the Armor and Ship (Razorleaf)
The Rangers Questline for the Weapons and Ship (Star Eagle)

Not just for the rewards either but the above two quest lines open up a huge number of interactions, side quests and Systems early on. Like the Dark Brotherhood and Theives Guild from Skyrim etc.

Wolf Den in Wolf System (nr Sol/AC) has the trader for contraband if needed.

Soldato
Plugged some hours in to the game today and I think I'm enjoying it.
Made a clanger when landing on the first planet Kreet, I somehow landed next to the correct landing site and was wondering about falling down an abandoned mine and then discovered a settlement containing a load of Eclipse clowns.

Finally managed to get to New Atlantis and was exploring and over heard some dialogue which sent me to the Well to investigate brown-outs, ended up unlocking a door to an apartment and then got spanked by a level 12 robot dog!

I'm really struggling with the gunplay, primarily accuracy and running out of ammo halfway clearing areas. Can you craft you ammo or is it prudent to simply stock up whenever possible?

Caporegime
Tried getting into this, im finding it pretty boring. The gunplay is uninspiring and the worlds seem dead (even the ones with a population)

Tried going back to it today after a blast over the weekend and it’s just not gripping me at all.

Soldato
Downloaded this via Gamepass and will have a pop at it on the 6th.

Does it have a steep learning curve? Sometimes these sort of games can be overwhelming and confusing simply because of their vast options. Do you need to chose perks at the start of the game when you configure your character and then are you stuck with them?

Ta.

Associate
Downloaded this via Gamepass and will have a pop at it on the 6th.

Does it have a steep learning curve? Sometimes these sort of games can be overwhelming and confusing simply because of their vast options. Do you need to chose perks at the start of the game when you configure your character and then are you stuck with them?

Ta.

I wouldn't say the learning curve is steep but you do get used to certain dynamics along the way such as inventory management, travel mechanics etc. I'm about 12 hours into the game and still finding the best way to manage things to suit myself but I wouldn't call the game intimidating to new players.
You do pick perks at the very beginning and there's no way to change them after that, as for how that effects the game I can't really say - this is a big rpg so to find the, so called, best player config would I think require multiple playthroughs.

Hope you enjoy it when you get to start, it's scratching my space rpg itch so far and I can see myself putting a lot of hours into it :)

Soldato
I wouldn't say the learning curve is steep but you do get used to certain dynamics along the way such as inventory management, travel mechanics etc. I'm about 12 hours into the game and still finding the best way to manage things to suit myself but I wouldn't call the game intimidating to new players.
You do pick perks at the very beginning and there's no way to change them after that, as for how that effects the game I can't really say - this is a big rpg so to find the, so called, best player config would I think require multiple playthroughs.

Hope you enjoy it when you get to start, it's scratching my space rpg itch so far and I can see myself putting a lot of hours into it :)

Same here I'm about 17 hrs in and level 15 , tho I spent an hour dying repeatedly doing the Mantis mission tho level 4 was probably too low to try it :p

Soldato
Should have been called Cut scene simulator!

Seems a copy and paste of parts of fallout and skyrim but in space, don't get me wrong I've put 30+ hours in but some of the planets and creatures look PS3 like, the dialogue is awful which is standard for Bethesda but I got sucked in by the hype and the misleading ads and I'm quite disappointed.

Soldato
I'm about 4 hours in, currently level 3. I've only just made it to the first main place to land that might be a city. Cargo hold of the spaceship is completely full of dead pirate gear from the outposts i've been through, i guess i need to find somewhere to sell that next.

Soldato
Should have been called Cut scene simulator!

Seems a copy and paste of parts of fallout and skyrim but in space, don't get me wrong I've put 30+ hours in but some of the planets and creatures look PS3 like, the dialogue is awful which is standard for Bethesda but I got sucked in by the hype and the misleading ads and I'm quite disappointed.

This is disappointing :(

Will give it a go tomorrow but so far I’m hearing linear + lots of cut scenes

Soldato
Plugged some more hours in this and now level 7; yet to start the second main mission. Still performing tasks and had a go at surveying a planet and finding and hitting outposts and somewhat worked out resource management and how all the workbench and tool stations work. I'm still unsure whether I'm enjoying myself or not and continue to find inventory management between you, the ship, storage and whatever else the game throws at you quite tedious. Gunplay accuracy continues to frustrate but that likely says more about my dexterity with a controller than the game itself.

I suspect I may need to focus on the main quest-line and perhaps a select few side-quests to avoid burnout. The idea of setting up outposts, crew management and other surveying / building activities does not interest me.

Still hopeful for a performance related patch for the SX; the 30fps cap on my OLED is quite the eyesore after a few hours play.

Back
Top Bottom