StarLink and Rural home networking "Project"

I thought I would document my journey upgrading my home to have a better network using StarLink as the main connection - I have placed the thread in Home and Garden as I am focusing on the setup of the system at home, rather than networking specifically, and also there is a dedicated Starlink thread in the Networking already.

So, background - I work from home, and live in a fairly rural location. I spend a lot of the day working on the internet running meetings/video calls with many devices connected most of the day. I have found that a single Sky Broadband connection with a varying speed of anywhere from 50-75mbps was mostly fine when it was just me in the house, but it is not a great experience. This is made worse when the family get home and use their devices! We also have fairly high contention in the village it seems, which does not help matters.

My Current setup is that I had the Sky BB router in the Lounge downstairs, with a powerline connection to the garage which also is my "workshop" where I have a TV and a PC which I used when working on cars/bikes/etc. I also have a wireless AP providing a specific network for the "Garage Wifi".

Most of the rest of the house is connected to the Sky via Wifi, including mobiles/tablets/smart home/Blink Cameras/Doorbell/etc. This included my office, where I have up to 6 machines all hung off the SKY Wifi

The Sky Router also has a NAS attached to it directly via RJ45, as well as the Hive box and a Large OKI MFD (Printer/etc). This router also runs off a UPS for protection against shorter powercuts.

For redundancy I have a 4G Router in the loft hanging off a small DC UPS, with an aerial bolted to the roof, inside. I have that router attached to a cheap Chinese Wifi router as it has much better coverage than the 4g router's built in Wifi. If there is an outage of SKY, I can connect to this manually, and it will work just about ok (although the 4g is spotty up here, and slow). If the case of a longer power cut, I can connect to the weaker 4g router itself, which has the DC-DC UPS, that lasts a lot longer!

A little diagram to show the setup:
Network030.jpg

After deciding to look into my options, I have decided to move away from Sky for BB, and get Starlink to give me a faster network connection. This may have some issues, but I was keen to improve the networking in general around the house, and decided to revamp the whole IT setup at home as part of the process. This includes, installing proper network cables for the house where needed, a move to using a Mesh system for Wifi where possible, setting up a some automatic failover process for the new "backup" Vodaphone BB connection/Starlink. I also wanted to be able to use managed switches where needed to force certain machines over the BB line as a preference for lower latency (mainly for my kids when gaming) or just QOS preferences, whilst also making a proper patch/cabling board to handle the infrastructure needed.

It should look something like this:
Network029.jpg

Now, I tend to try and do most things my self and learn the required skills as I go. This project is not going to be any different. Although I will make some exceptions for certain things!

First thing was get the Starlink, it arrived very quickly, 2 days after order, which was not what I was expecting given the stuff I read online:
Network001.jpg

Initial setup was VERY easy, the app did most of the work, and got it working sat on the drain in the middle of my lawn (it is supposed to be as close to level as possible, and this was mostly the best spot in the lawn where it would get the least obstructions.
SpaceX says you need to have an un-obstructed dome of 100degrees from the face of the dish and the app has a nice little representation of the sky it sees!:

Network003.jpg

Network021.jpg

So, the house and some trees were causing a few issues, and I was seeing some small drops as a result, and speed was mostly ok, but I was hoping for a little better once it was properly mounted:

Network020.jpg

I had my eyes on this gable end of my roof to sort this problem out. However, this part of the house is VERY high up, and my dual section ladder was simply not enough to get a mount installed properly:

Network002.jpg

A few calls to local aerial places, some of whom simply refused to install the dish, claiming they did not know enough about it, and could not guarantee it would work, etc. Finally found a nice chap locally who took the time to listen, and actually agreed to come out and do the install for me. He was a little worried, as he had done two before, but they were flat roof type installs, and he was not 100% sure what mounts it would need. Still, a little bit of explaining that I had done most of the work, and got all the parts together to do it, and really just needed him for his long ladders and time, to install the pole in a way that he would have done hundreds of times before.

So, about mounting. The dish slots into the little X base that was shown earlier. This little section was the right size to slide into an aerial pole that I had, but i was not confident it would stand up to the English weather with just a few CM in the pole:
Network008.jpg

So, I decided to modify a pole joiner type clamp, with the hole for the cable. Sadly SpaceX made the cable end an L shape with quick a bulky fitting which meant it would not be possible to slide the cable down the inside of the pole (this was my initial preference!) so, some mods were needed:

Network005.jpg

After some cutting, sanding and smoothing, I had the above. I was mostly happy with this, but also wanted to make the clamp more secure, so I 3d printed a sleeve to bulk out the smaller section of the pole to mean more of the surface would be clamped correctly:

Network010.jpg

You can see it here, its the black material that visible just inside the hole:
Network009.jpg

I left an overlap in a few places to make sure this protected the cable even more from the (albeit smooth) metal edges, so now we are ready to get this thing onto a pole nicely:

Network013.jpg

Whilst waiting for installation day to come, I started to work on the panel for the networking in the loft:

Network004.jpg

3d printed a few mounts, and started to mock up locations for the stuff I needed, then making some holes for cables:

Network011.jpg

Checking out my layout I ended up turning the ethernet adaptor for the Starlink through 45 degrees to make cables runs easier:

Network012.jpg

Quite happy with how its turned out, and soon enough it was mounting day!

Network014.jpg

Network015.jpg

MY aerial guy did a great job, and I was up and running again in no time:

Network016.jpg

So, the two cables into the top router are from the starlink in white, and 4g router in purple. These are fail-overed(?), with the Starlink as the main, and 4g as backup. The 4g will be being swapped for the new Voda BB when it arrived later this month, though a cable run that will be patched in from downstairs. The yellow cable is sharing the ethernet to the 8 port and the green to the 5 port for expansion (I may swap the 5 port out if needed to another 8 in future) The yellow cable coming out of port 1 in the 8 port is then going to the mesh main unit. I had yet to run any cat6 around the house at this point, so the patch panel is not in use! I also want some better patch panel cables to make the runs neater/less tight.

The mesh and 4g router are sat on the floor near the latch opening for now, but I may change this in future:
Network031.jpg

However, we now have un-obstructed sky views, and no network drops!

Network022.jpg

The Mesh is working well, and we have decent speed all around the house. This was in one of the worst spots of the house, when connected to the mesh:

Network027.jpg

Latency is not as bad as I thought, and drops are down to negligable:

Network024.jpg

Phase one is completed!

Last edited:
Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to share your installation and experience.

Living quite rural myself and with a 36Mbps down / 6Mbps up connection for the last 5 years, Starlink has been on my radar for a bit. Fibre is now being installed in the village near me, it all depends on if they stretch it out to the few houses around which is why I've been holding out.

Intersting read, I live rurally and get 25mb on a good day, i'd be over the moon if i just had 50-75!

I did look into starlink but the monthly cost was just too much for me, 3x what i pay for my current broadband and then needing to stump up over 200 for the kit and get it installed :(

Intersting read, I live rurally and get 25mb on a good day, i'd be over the moon if i just had 50-75!

I did look into starlink but the monthly cost was just too much for me, 3x what i pay for my current broadband and then needing to stump up over 200 for the kit and get it installed :(
Every time I've seen people switch to starlink they always seem to be very much impressed.

225 for the kit at Costco atm including 2 month sub

Ok, so we are a little further along! I realised I forgot the show the cable run for the garage cable, I am trying to keep this as neat as possible!

Network033.jpg

I also was not happy with the mesh unit in the hallway downstairs sitting offset to hive hub unit, or being squashed behind it on the wooden unit, so I printed a little mount to lift it up, and slide the Hive hub underneath. Much neater!

Network035.jpg

Once that was sorted, the weather was closing in, so did not get as many pics as I would usually, but this is the cable run for the living room:

Network036.jpg

Up to the loft, this bush was totally in the way, and whilst trying to squeeze in behind to knock in the cable supports, it completely fell over.. This did make my job a lot easier!

Network037.jpg

And up to the loft..

Network045.jpg

The new network port, I am only running one cable for now, but may change this later if needed!

Network044.jpg

The run in the loft from the wall to the board:

Network041.jpg

The tool selection needed for the patching job!

Network042.jpg

Patching in the new cable:
Network038.jpg

All tested:

Network039.jpg

All back together:

Network040.jpg

Tested and working fine!

I have also been working with configuring the ER605 to push all traffic over Starlink as a preference, with the vodafone ADSL as the backup. But I have also set a different routing policy for the kids gaming machines to reverse that, so they use the lower latency ADSL first, and only use the Starlink if the ADSL drops.

The router is also handling a simple failover, so that if any of the links does die, it will default to the other regardless.

I was finding that the system was failing over to the ADSL quite often, but the Starlink was working fine... Hmmm.. Turned out that default DHCP settings on the Starlink router was renewing every 30 minutes, and it seemed to keep triggering failover. The good news is that this was happening quite often, but I never actually realised I was being failed over to the ADSL!!

To get over this would usually be easy, as you would just log into the starlink router, and change the lease time... However, these settings simply do not exist anywhere in the UI for Starlink. So I did some digging and found that the starlink router DHCP range starts at .20, so I set the WAN link on the ER605 to use a static address ending in .10, and then after an hour or so, no lease renewals happened, and problem was solved!

I also then went to the vodafone ADSL router, and changed the DHCP lease time there to 1 day, and did the same on the ER605 to bring it up from 2 hours to 24 hours!

@Feek - Dishy video, coming soon...

Last edited:
Ok, so we are a little further along! I realised I forgot the show the cable run for the garage cable, I am trying to keep this as neat as possible!

Network033.jpg

I also was not happy with the mesh unit in the hallway downstairs sitting offset to hive hub unit, or being squashed behind it on the wooden unit, so I printed a little mount to lift it up, and slide the Hive hub underneath. Much neater!

Network035.jpg

Once that was sorted, the weather was closing in, so did not get as many pics as I would usually, but this is the cable run for the living room:

Network036.jpg

Up to the loft, this bush was totally in the way, and whilst trying to squeeze in behind to knock in the cable supports, it completely fell over.. This did make my job a lot easier!

Network037.jpg

And up to the loft..

Network045.jpg

The new network port, I am only running one cable for now, but may change this later if needed!

Network044.jpg

The run in the loft from the wall to the board:

Network041.jpg

The tool selection needed for the patching job!

Network042.jpg

Patching in the new cable:
Network038.jpg

All tested:

Network039.jpg

All back together:

Network040.jpg

Tested and working fine!

I have also been working with configuring the ER605 to push all traffic over Starlink as a preference, with the vodafone ADSL as the backup. But I have also set a different routing policy for the kids gaming machines to reverse that, so they use the lower latency ADSL first, and only use the Starlink if the ADSL drops.

The router is also handling a simple failover, so that if any of the links does die, it will default to the other regardless.

I was finding that the system was failing over to the ADSL quite often, but the Starlink was working fine... Hmmm.. Turned out that default DHCP settings on the Starlink router was renewing every 30 minutes, and it seemed to keep triggering failover. The good news is that this was happening quite often, but I never actually realised I was being failed over to the ADSL!!

To get over this would usually be easy, as you would just log into the starlink router, and change the lease time... However, these settings simply do not exist anywhere in the UI for Starlink. So I did some digging and found that the starlink router DHCP range starts at .20, so I set the WAN link on the ER605 to use a static address ending in .10, and then after an hour or so, no lease renewals happened, and problem was solved!

I also then went to the vodafone ADSL router, and changed the DHCP lease time there to 1 day, and did the same on the ER605 to bring it up from 2 hours to 24 hours!

@Feek - Dishy video, coming soon...
Impressive although I'd probably would get myself a data cabinet to put all the gubbins inside.
I guess you don't have SkyQ? From what I unstood Starlink often won't play ball..

Impressive although I'd probably would get myself a data cabinet to put all the gubbins inside.
I guess you don't have SkyQ? From what I unstood Starlink often won't play ball..

I do have SkyQ, no issues yet. I actually have both sky q and sky q mini connected to the mesh, which may be why its working?

What issues are people having?

Last edited:

I do have SkyQ, no issues yet. I actually have both sky q and sky q mini connected to the mesh, which may be why its working?

What issues are people having?
I believe some were having high latency issues with Starlink, apparently SkyQ boxes are quite sensitive to latency, along with Sky setup not completely happy with Starlink's DNS setup.
This is one post from Sky's community support website: "! have Starlink and I can confirm that I consistently get on demand programs, failing. It often says failed no subscription although I clearly do have one. For that error you need to contact them directly if you have Starlink as it requires some configuration amendments. I haven't done this yet as I also have a standard sky router so I've disconnected Starlink for the time being so that my Sky set up will work."

These might have been resolved now as you've got a stable setup. That is good news.

The mistake that many make though is to put a managed network switch in their setup and that usually results in broadcast packet storms.

Last edited:
Sky Q boxes are really fussy, when mine was installed, he couldn't get it to talk to my WiFi and when I said that it should be fine because it's Ubiquiti access points he just straight away said that they won't work with them and he gave me a Sky booster access point thing instead.

Sky Q boxes are really fussy, when mine was installed, he couldn't get it to talk to my WiFi and when I said that it should be fine because it's Ubiquiti access points he just straight away said that they won't work with them and he gave me a Sky booster access point thing instead.
Yep the wfi on the Sky setup is a law to it's own and really, if the isp isn't sky, or using alternative matrix setups then it can trip over itself very easily. I managed to get mine stable at our old property by using a Netgear WiFi router, with a tp-link modem in bridge mode, but then we moved into a larger property and I could no longer use the Netgear as we went on to superfast 36 and my partner still wishes to have a conventional phone :rolleyes: Now we're finally on full fibre using the OR community voucher scheme but the whole Sky matrix setup though just fell apart and all the boxes just kept falling offline because of having solid inner walls.

We now have two sky boosters and everything is pretty stable, however once our new contract ends the Sky Talk will go and I'll look at a voip contract instead, put back my Netgear and wire in the two minis using MoCA adaptors..

Awesome stuff. We'll be on Starlink in the new house, but i think i'm going to go with renting the equipment as it's so cheap vs the buy cost and with it being a new technology will likely be refreshed occasionally. I'm struggling to find bad reviews which is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom