StarLink and Rural home networking "Project"

Latest on this. Starlink has been rock solid, and really happy with it.. BUT... Quickline are offering 200mbps down and 30mbps uplink over a point to point 5g as they installed an AP less than a half a mile from me, by line of sight.\

Here's the kicker, its £29 a month, for the second year of the 2 year contract, and £14.50 for the first year.... At this price comparison, its a no-brainer to try it. Also, interestingly enough, the Starlink unit seems to use quite a lot of energy. I am monitoring all the loft equipment, but at the moment it rarely drops below 65W, and is often 80w+ even with the heating option turned off.. It will be interesting to compare the two systems...

I have them installing it here on the 9th of October, and I have a 30 day cancellation option if it is pants, Starlink gets to stay a little longer.

Last edited:
Also, interestingly enough, the Starlink unit seems to use quite a lot of energy. I am monitoring all the loft equipment, but at the moment it rarely drops below 65W, and is often 80w+ even with the heating option turned off.. It will be interesting to compare the two systems...
That sounds high - A year or so ago, I monitored my Starlink for a month and it was around 45W. Are you figures including other stuff, switch & router? These days I also put it to sleep from 1am to 7am which saves a bit more power.

That sounds high - A year or so ago, I monitored my Starlink for a month and it was around 45W. Are you figures including other stuff, switch & router? These days I also put it to sleep from 1am to 7am which saves a bit more power.
It's the whole "comms cabinet" being monitored, so it may be closer to 50w, but I will know more when I turn it off and compare to quickline

Latest on this. Starlink has been rock solid, and really happy with it.. BUT... Quickline are offering 200mbps down and 30mbps uplink over a point to point 5g as they installed an AP less than a half a mile from me, by line of sight.\

Here's the kicker, its £29 a month, for the second year of the 2 year contract, and £14.50 for the first year.... At this price comparison, its a no-brainer to try it. Also, interestingly enough, the Starlink unit seems to use quite a lot of energy. I am monitoring all the loft equipment, but at the moment it rarely drops below 65W, and is often 80w+ even with the heating option turned off.. It will be interesting to compare the two systems...

I have them installing it here on the 9th of October, and I have a 30 day cancellation option if it is pants, Starlink gets to stay a little longer.

Funnily enough, I got a call from Quickline today offering the same half-price deal. I also live out in the sticks and can only get 30 Mb fibre. We are a house of 6, four of which game a lot, so we struggle at times with the speeds. That said, I have had a wireless solution before, good speeds but horrendous ping which meant online gaming was torture. I expressed my concerns to the Quickline chap; he said you have a 14 (or 30?) day cooling off period, so I can try it, and if I don't like it, cancel, like you. I might even use it for a year at £14 p/m just for everything that isn't gaming and use my fibre for just consoles in the household. The installation happens on the 25th; I'll await your thoughts on the 9th!!

@Malt_Vinegar how is Quickline going?
Failed install, the man was on a ladder, at first waggling a small and then excessively large erection around for ages and failed to get a satisfactory signal.
I am currently investigating where I can buy det-cord in the UK, unrelated to the large tree in the way a short distance from my house.

Last edited:
Failed install, the man was on a ladder, at first waggling a small and then excessively large erection around for ages and failed to get a satisfactory signal.
I am currently investigating where I can buy det-cord in the UK, unrelated to the large tree in the way a short distance from my house.

Damn. I cancelled my install as we are putting the house on the market, still interested in how this service performs though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom