Starlink and Zoom Calls

Associate
Hi, I have starlink setup for my office the speed can vary between around 50mb and 100mb.

We provide technical help for boilers via zoom call. Currently I have 3 computers set up for this but plan to add another 3.

My first question is , will the star link handle this demand or should I invest in another connection?

Secondly, if 1 starlink setup is enough, the 2 rooms with 3 computers in each are next to eachother. Would I best best to add a mesh system, one for each room, and use starlink router as a modem only?

Thank you in advance for any advice given, it is really appreciated.

John

Associate
OP
Yes we are in the middle of nowhere so dont even have fibre here. The main office has a dedicated lease line pulled in but the smaller office which will be doing the video calls is quite a distance so will need its own internet supply.

Here is a speed test, so really the question is, is this ok for 6 zoom calls at the same time with no other usage or should I place an order for another starlink and run 3 on each?

I have just run a speed test:
Download: 89.6mbps
Upload: 18.3 mbps
Latency 38.0ms
Jitter 6.00ms

Thanks again, John

Caporegime
Yes we are in the middle of nowhere so dont even have fibre here. The main office has a dedicated lease line pulled in but the smaller office which will be doing the video calls is quite a distance so will need its own internet supply.

Here is a speed test, so really the question is, is this ok for 6 zoom calls at the same time with no other usage or should I place an order for another starlink and run 3 on each?

I have just run a speed test:
Download: 89.6mbps
Upload: 18.3 mbps
Latency 38.0ms
Jitter 6.00ms

Thanks again, John
Could you setup a point to point link between the two sites or run a cable? How far away is the main building?

Soldato
If the office is line of sight to the main office with leased line, a fixed wireless PtP link would be ideal, can even get gigabit depending on distance and how clear it is. Otherwise, maybe looked into armoured fibre and dig it in if you own the land between them? It's a bigger initial hit but far more stable long term than a starlink and no ongoing costs.

Transmission breaker
Don
@Feek
Starlink will be fine I expect.
No need to use passthrough mode.
Mine is working through a mesh.
I am on video calls a lot, run 6-7 machines over it most days all doing things, whilst the Mrs and Kids use watch films/vod services, play games/etc.

That should be fine, the sudden interruptions from satellite disconnections should be your biggest concern
Rubbish, drops long enough to notice or cause problems with a video call are no more common than a normal connection.
If it's setup correctly, it will be fine!

Last edited:
Soldato
Starlink aside for a moment, I would be hard wiring those PC’s to whatever connection you are using, especially in a business setting - Wi-Fi just adds a whole load of other variables that are unwelcome and don’t need to be a thing.

Associate
OP
Sorry, yes they are all hard wired. Currently I have a switch plugged into the back of the starlink and then each pc is connected to the switch.

The new space I have is through the wall to the current office so I was thinking of almost treating them as 2 separate networks, each room would have it own switch for the 3 pcs but also wifi for phone signal (we are in the middle of nowhere so even mobile phone signal is difficult).

What would be the best setup for this?

Thanks again

Associate
OP
If the office is line of sight to the main office with leased line, a fixed wireless PtP link would be ideal, can even get gigabit depending on distance and how clear it is. Otherwise, maybe looked into armoured fibre and dig it in if you own the land between them? It's a bigger initial hit but far more stable long term than a starlink and no ongoing costs.
I would be interested in this fixed wireless link as something for the future. How difficult would this be to setup?

I do not own the land so cannot dig between the 2.

The current office with the leased line is around 30-50 metres away from the new office space.

Starlink does seem to work well with the 3 pcs but it would be best to get everyone on the connection eventually.

Last edited:
Caporegime
50 metres is nothing, something like this will work out of the box and fall back to 5GHz if the rain gets really bad

Soldato
I would be interested in this fixed wireless link as something for the future. How difficult would this be to setup?

I do not own the land so cannot dig between the 2.

The current office with the leased line is around 30-50 metres away from the new office space.

Starlink does seem to work well with the 3 pcs but it would be best to get everyone on the connection eventually.

Piece of urine.
You mount hardware externally at both ends at point it at each other. MikroTik do some good 60Ghz kit (1Gb full duplex) but also Ubiquiti do some really good wireless link equipment, a 5Ghz link would cost you less than £200 and easily carry the 100Mb service over it.

Does rely on having clear line of sight though.

Associate
OP
Thank you, I never knew these existed! I have just had a look at the kits and they seem really good. I think I will set this up within a few months.

Either way I will need to get the setup inside of the office so what would be the best setup?

1. Router in each room (rooms are next to each other) , so each room has it own switch and wifi

2. Try to share it between the rooms, drill some network cables through the wall and plugin into the main switch. Hopefully the wifi signal will be ok for mobile phones.

Thanks again, John

Back
Top Bottom