Starsector

Permabanned
I was playing SPAZ 2 last week and as a big fan of the original 2D top-down spaceship laser pew pew, you can imagine my dissapointment when I saw they'd redesigned it into some sort of VR abomination.

Anyhow, whilst looking for similar complaints I came across this little gem.

Starsector is a single-player sandbox style space role-playing game with strategic elements. That’s quite a mouthful, though, so here’s what it boils down to – fly around with your highly customizable fleet, explore, build stuff, blow stuff up, advance your character. The goal is to give you lots of meaningful choices in a malleable world.

I read its been in development for the best part of a decade but even for an alpha there's some solid gameplay already and fully playable no crashes etc. I've clocked up around 30 hours and it's immense fun.

It's basically SPAZ but not as arcadey and more strategic.

Soldato
I came across this game last week after someone linked the below video on Discord. Caved and bought it as it looked interesting and I've been utterly hooked since. Not launched a single game other than Starsector for the past week.

Accessible gameplay, but hard to master. Huge variation in ships and loadouts, that's before you even consider large fleets and the command options to go with that.

Anyone else played?

Permabanned
OP
@PinkFloyd

If you're playing vanilla you should definitely check out the mods for a second play through.

Such a pity The Knights Templar mod isn't compatible with the latest version though. If I was to play again I'd load up an older version just for this mod (and Starsector+).

Soldato
Yeh i definitely plan a second playthrough with mods. Not sure at what point I'll start said game though, still pretty hooked on the gameplay as it is. Got my colonies running nicely now and have a decent fleet to counter attacks. It's just not strong enough to deal with big enemy fleets away from the core.
May even look into modding myself, make my own custom ship or something :D

Caporegime
Just discovered this, seems it's still getting updates.

only played for about an hour though, no idea what I'm doing but it seems kinda cool like an unofficial expanse space combat game :)

Back
Top Bottom