Started learning Python - real applications?

Associate
Hey all,

Started my journey in doing Python, learning about cleaning data and what not for analysis. I want delve more into web site searching and things like... how do people go about creating stuff that checks availability on site like hotels/airbnb/stock.

I want to understand the concepts of it, are they literally just crawling links direct to the product/item and checking parameters or using some sort of API? What guides/tutorials have you done that points to real life application. I like to break down existing code if it exists to understand the elements.

Another thing I wanted to learn is reading the stock/crypto charts for instance. I know you have markers for giving you an alarm when a certain criteria hits but would like to understand and make something my own.

Automation is something I want to get more into. Many thanks.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I am creeping into python in spare time for similar reasons. I am not a natural programmer more of a technician but can progress enough if I put the time in. I think you have to regularly use it in the initial chunk of the learning phase so the core stuff sticks.

I found when I only done bits but had long periods between (like weeks or months) it felt like two steps forward, one and half steps back.

Associate
OP
I know the very basics as they always teach you using numbers and calculations. I tend to like looking at code (still basic sense) and then playing about and understanding how it works. Those that use notes in the code also help with learning.

Associate
OP
It might be worth taking a look at the Bitcoin project, because whilst Bitcoin Core itself is written in C++, I think a lot of python is also used for some aspects of the project, so you would probably find some experienced python developers there:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

I've heard of this site. Trying to understand how it works as there's a lot of, to me, information within folders etc.

Soldato
I've heard of this site. Trying to understand how it works as there's a lot of, to me, information within folders etc.

Yes it is certainly not beginner level, and I did think about that when mentioning it. However, you seem to have an interest in crypto, and I expect there will be some interesting examples of Python. If you haven't already, it's worth learning GitHub, this is a core programming skill now:

http://webref.eu/git-notes.php

Soldato
I found when I only done bits but had long periods between (like weeks or months) it felt like two steps forward, one and half steps back.

You have to make a conscious effort to regularly practice/review programming, or you will forget it all and be back at square one. What I find, is that putting your notes online in a website is a good idea, because then you have an instant reference to remind you and help you. Then make at least a small amount of time each day or every other day to spend on coding.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
You have to make a conscious effort to regularly practice/review programming, or you will forget it all and be back at square one. What I find, is that putting your notes online in a website is a good idea, because then you have an instant reference to remind you and help you. Then make at least a small amount of time each day or every other day to spend on coding.

Yeah I now try spend 15 minutes a day on python to keep things fresh. Building this time up to say half an hour should be good grounding. I agree things like git are a must too nowadays, so juggling them and the command line syntax of linux should give you enough tools to build projects.

Try not to do too many new things though as it can easily get overwhelming. I reckon if I was a 18/19/20 year old again this would have been a breeze especially as time seemed to be abundant compared to being a parent, working and maintaining a household. Also my forty something brain has far less capacity to absorb.. :p

Associate
OP
Yes it is certainly not beginner level, and I did think about that when mentioning it. However, you seem to have an interest in crypto, and I expect there will be some interesting examples of Python. If you haven't already, it's worth learning GitHub, this is a core programming skill now:

http://webref.eu/git-notes.php
Thank you. I need to check what other forums/resources that are helpful to newbies with Python as well.

Back
Top Bottom