Starter 5.1 setup with Projector

Soldato
I thought I would finally upgrade from the inbuilt sound on the w1070 to a proper sound solution.

In the past I've just had home cinema all in ones but I'm told by sensible folk that the audio experience of an average + speaker separates is a far far greater experience

Looking at the

Yamaha rxv381

And

Pioneer sh100

£320 all in...can't afford much more

Decent enough u reckon? And would I get 5.1 sound with these connected to a w1070?

Thanks
Muchly xD

Man of Honour
I believe the w1070 only has stereo audio output (analogue) and the HDMI connections are inputs only so you can't daisy chain the device to extract surround audio or anything like that. You'd have to get the audio out from the player source separately or use some other device to extract it to preserve a surround sound signal.

EDIT: If you have the projector connected to the AVR and using that to drive the speakers then yes as long as its receiving a surround signal it should work for some reason I thought you'd listed two options for speakers so was thinking you were trying to put them after the projector.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
no i am using the inbuilt speaker :D

But looking to get an AV receiver and speakers. I was going to get them last month but bought the graphics card instead :D

How would the Yamaha rxv381 connect to the projector?

Man of Honour
no i am using the inbuilt speaker :D

But looking to get an AV receiver and speakers. I was going to get them last month but bought the graphics card instead :D

How would the Yamaha rxv381 connect to the projector?

You'd normally connect the source HDMI or whatever digital output to the AVR and then the projector connects to the output of the AVR - I assumed from your post but might have read it wrong you were inferring daisy chaining from the projector to the AVR but the w1070 doesn't support that as its HDMI connections are inputs only.

Don't have experience with either of the two products you listed but the speakers have a bit of a mixed reputation with some people having issues with the sub but otherwise reports as to the surround reproduction are promising.

Soldato
OP
Not after anything spectacular just anything better than an all in one budget home cinema sound system. Do you know of anything better in the same price bracket?

Soldato
OP
What sources do you use with the projector? Is this the only viewing source or is there a TV too?

pc, bluray player and tv box. No actual tv. Also the room is not that big so a beast of a 5.1 setup would be wasted.

Scottland said:

That looks quite good. I will have a look at other reviews for it. Only 20£ off for B grade though.

Soldato
OP
On your budget, just buy a AVR and stereo speakers for now, and get the rest later. HTIB like that Pioneer are a waste of time and money.

The Pioneer seems to get a lot of good reviews though? (shs100)

Is the consensus the AVR is ok just need different speakers? I will also give Richersounds a ring at the weekend and see what they advise.

Soldato
yup that AVR is fine, although it doesn't have steller power output, and spring clip terminals.

Buy something like Wharfedale Diamond 9.0

Although smaller speakers are less efficient. In fact those Wharedales use 2x the power of floorstanders to get the same dB level!

Soldato
OP
Yeah the 2.1 wharfdale diamond looks nice but probably too big for my living room. (its not that big)

Is it worthwhile going second hand to save a fortune?

i can get KEF 2005.2 with 5 satelittes and subwoofer for £130 ?
Also can get the z5500 for £50 ?

To add i guess if i want 5.1 surround sound i need to have a 5.1 dedicated sound card..i dont think my mobo has it (asus z79-k)

Soldato
I have a Yamaha amp and those speakers. The subwoofer is nice with plenty of bass.

I also have the 1070. I have my devices into the amp and hdmi out to the PJ.

Soldato
OP
I have a Yamaha amp and those speakers. The subwoofer is nice with plenty of bass.

I also have the 1070. I have my devices into the amp and hdmi out to the PJ.

the wharfdale speakers? Do you get 5.1 sound no problem? The amount of choice and complexity is horrendous.... Do you notice any lag with the hdmi going via the amp and then to the projector? (if you use the pj for gaming)

Soldato
Yep the Dxse in black with the removable front. Got the whole package from Richersounds. Amp, projector, speakers and screen.

It's awesome in a dark room. No lag that I notice, BF1 is superb on a 120" screen.

Back
Top Bottom