Starting swimming, any advice?

Soldato
So, I've recently started a new job which for the first time for me is a 'proper' office job which means a fairly sedentary lifestyle during the day. The combination of recently graduating from my twenties :)(), having a bit more money to spend on food I enjoy, going out etc. is (possibly) already taking a hit on my health. Nothing major, I'm 5'10 and weigh around 10st but I just want to do a bit of cardio or something to lose the paunch and generally feel a bit healthier and energetic. Clearly, weightloss isn't my aim..

Fortunately there's a gym literally over the road from my new place of work so I'm able to do a good 40mins swim in my lunch hour, probably a couple of times a week.

So, I'm after some practical advice on swimming firstly. I've never done lane swimming before so I'm assuming I should be doing perhaps more than just 40mins of front crawl. Does it matter my technique probably isn't up to scratch? Hopefully that will improve with time.

But also I'm wondering about lane swimming etiquette. It seems to be a complete minefield!! I was reading things online about dangling your legs in the pool whilst letting everyone in the lane swim past you once, so they know you're joining. Do people really do that? :confused: What are the big things I should avoid doing, I don't want to look like a total fool :p

Also, will I see/feel good results going a couple of times a week? I was thinking that if I get on well with it I could possibly add the odd evening swim in before I head home.

Thanks for any pointers! :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks. Yep in all reality I'm expecting to do probably one length, need a rest, then do another. Baby steps :p

Realistically I'll plan to go twice a week with possibly one more if I fancy it. Hopefully I'll see some difference with that!

Now all I need to do is buy some proper shorts and goggles. I'm guessing rocking up in my Quicksilver board shorts would be a mistake :p

EDIT: Any advice on comfortable goggles? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OP, don't let this put you off - we all pay the same money to be in the pool and I doubt any regulars really mind yielding / being blocked occasionally as long as they feel others are making an effort.
Heh, yeah I think I made my usual mistake of trying to find out as much as I can before I even step foot inside. Problem is all you find online is people complaining about others and the 'etiquette'. Didn't help that I listen to Richard Herring's podcast and he had a 10minute rant about it too :D

Thanks for all the pointers people!

So, next question.. long shorts, medium Bond-pants or speedos? :D

Soldato
OP
Goggles. There's a Speedo store in both Covent Garden and Westfield Stratford. I'm sure there's some more, but given you're in Ealing, pop in. The easiest way to know if goggles fit. Take a pair, push them up against your eyes with no strap. If they stick for five or so seconds, you'll be golden. Just need to adjust accordingly when they're on.
Thanks for all the points! I work very close to the Speedo shop so I've already been in and got myself a pair of jammers. Nothing will make you want to lose the paunch more than yanking yourself into a pair of those :D

Goggles I'm having trouble with. The guy in the store there was a bit useless but I think I'll go back and see if I can grab someone else. The place I'll be swimming has an outdoor and an indoor pool, so what lens colour should I get? The outdoor pool is surrounded by tall buildings so it'll generally be in the shade anyway (apart from peak summer). Or should I just go cool and get mirrored lenses? :p

I tried on the Aquapure ones but they didn't really stick for longer than a millisecond. When you put Goggles on do you raise your eyebrows and open your eyes wide so they sit more inside your eye socket, rather than over your eyebrow? I have to say I always remember having trouble with Goggles.. :( I found a really old pair of Speedo Future+ ones but they are too small across the nose and again don't seem to stick. Hmn...

Soldato
OP
Speedo shop nearby and outdoor and indoor pool. You must be swimming at Oasis xD
Busted! Thanks for the pointers.

I can't seem to find any other swim shops around here.. those Arena Cobras do look good, it'd be great to try them on.

EDIT: How would they compare to the Aqua Sphere Kaiman's? That was one recommendation I had, but they look a lot bigger. Are the Arena's smaller? Less comfortable?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cool. They seem to be sold as 'super amazing racing goggles' which was putting me off slightly as far as comfort goes. The lens colours are a bit weird though.. orange with blue on the sides? Is that not a bit odd to look through? :confused:

Soldato
OP
haha, Orange with blue on sides is the one's I actually have and they are crystal clear :D Super awesome fancy pants racing style was what sold me on them :p
Poser :p

Oh well, me too. I think a smaller fit would suit me anyway. I think goggles over eyebrows probably really doesn't help for leakages. I just ordered some, hopefully they'll turn up by the weekend so I can go next week!

Soldato
OP
Nice one, I am sure you won't be disappointed but let me know how you get on :D
They turned up yesterday and seem to sucker on pretty well. I'm a bit unsure as to which nosebridge to use, I've gone for the biggest as I could feel a bit of pressure on my nose. It does stick out a lot though! Will have to suck it and see.

Btw, is eating 2hrs before swimming is safe enough? I'd like to avoid the lunch rush, and would get out of the office later rather than earlier...

Soldato
OP
Well the plan is for lunch. So usually a salad, a couple of wraps or something. Like you say, will just be trial and error.

I was going to go today but have woken up feeling like ****. That's what I remember from swimming at school; having to do it when ill and getting 10x worse. Boo :(

Soldato
OP
Well I've stopped being a woolly wuffter and got over my cold nice and quick. First day at the pool today. Pretty fun, although slight issues towards the end of my 35mins or so whereas I kept getting almighty cramp in the soles of my feet. Ouch. I do get that occasionally in bed, which normally means I have to jump out of bed and dance around like a loon much to my girlfriends entertainment/annoyance. I even had it in the changing rooms afterwards which wasn't pleasant! :p Any ideas?

The pool itself is nice, there was only 3-4 swimmers in each lane outside so I just pootled along. No stress. Ended up doing 95% breastroke as freestyle damn near killed me after a length and also seemed to bring the cramp on. To be honest I rested after most lengths but hey... !

Goggles seems decent too, so thanks for the recommendation xdcx! I dried them with the hair-dryer so I'm hoping they'll be ok to live in my drawer at work? I'm planning on leaving everything there apart from my swim shorts which will go home to dry properly.

Soldato
OP
Yep that's exactly it. I've never ever had cramp anywhere else, but I get that occasionally. Seems to be when I point my toes, it's awful! I'll try stretching out properly before.. Tonic/mineral water is apparently good for it too? :confused:

Soldato
OP
Get you hair wet with the shower before you get in. It'll stop your hair absorbing so much chlorine from the pool. It'll stop it feeling like straw + possibly reduce the chorines ability to cause hair loss.
For a second there I thought you were going to suggest getting your hair wet to stop cramp. Hmn :p

Soldato
OP
Second day and feel even better. This time I was prepared for the hunger afterwards so had half a cheese sandwich ready :D (And a banana and an apple). What do you guys eat after swimming? I don't want to get too fussy over it but wondering if a protein shake or something might be a good idea.

Less cramp today, wonder if it was the Perrier I had before :p

Soldato
OP
Ah, well I'm actually having lunch before. Eat at 12ish, swim at 2.30pm. Seems OK to me, means I miss the lunchtime rush. But I know I need to eat afterwards, maybe its just a banana and a shake I guess..

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I have weights at home so was thinking of doing a bit of those also. But I'm not taking myself too seriously. At the end of the day I just want to do something to be active, get the heart rate up for a bit etc. If I improve my physique whilst doing the right things, then great.

@King Damager, I am very good on hydration! I read that sparkling water is good for cramps so I've had a Perrier from work on the last couple of occasions I've swum and it seems to help. I think over time I'll be fine, it's just annoying!

I think I will get some protein shake powder stuff just so I have something decent to have post-swim. Otherwise I will no doubt end up snacking and eating chocolate etc which will do me no good!

Managed quite a few lengths of front crawl yesterday, very pleased. My gosh you can feel your technique disappear when you're tired though!

Soldato
OP
Fair enough! I'm not actually a big fan of being in water, I think being 'taught' to surf by some friend of the family in Australia where the waves were way too big and I got battered around and ended up with a fat lip.. kinda put me off too! Doesn't sound as bad as yours though! I'm sure you'll get there.

Soldato
OP
Yeah breathing is definitely the hardest bit. I'm going to give it a few weeks and try to breathe every 3 strokes rather than every 2. I think my years of playing the saxophone has really helped me though, as far as lung capacity goes.

Soldato
OP
Thanks shadowcreaper, that's useful. I had a good session today.. might have done 20-30 lengths (27m) in about 40mins... I wasn't counting though so that might be way off :D

I found that really relaxing whilst doing front crawl helps a ridiculous amount. Trying to go fast just makes me worse... I swear I was much quicker when I relaxed. And I even beat someone in the fast lane. :D I did swim a fair amount at school, here's hoping it's still buried inside my head somewhere!

Soldato
OP
Good work KC. I guess you need to start working on front crawl, really?

After the first few weeks of my stamina improving somewhat, I still seem to be in the same position. I think I'm probably not pushing myself enough, I hate getting 'almost' too out of breath when going for another length.. everything just goes to pot.

I also managed to completely embarrass myself last week. I went on my usual Wed lunchtime and then decided to go after work on Thurs. My body must have felt it, because right when I was about to give up I got halfway through a length and got the most almighty cramp in both feet. And I was in the middle lane. Cue a very ungainly doggy paddle across lanes to hang onto the steps for 10mins attempting to stretch out. I couldn't get rid of it either so must have looked like a right nutter in the changing rooms too :(

Back
Top Bottom