starting the W/C loop without the Mobo online

Associate
Can anyone remind me which pins i need to short together on the Mobo loom to get power to a watercooling pump that is run from a molex connector.

Associate
Why chance having the motherboard near ?

Use a paper clip and short the 24pin connector of the PSU with green and black wires will enable you to power the Pump without turning the PC on.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Arthalen said:
Why chance having the motherboard near ?

Use a paper clip and short the 24pin connector of the PSU with green and bacl wires will enable you to power the Pump without turning the PC on.

Eh? I didn't have the mobo near. I just needed to know which pins on the PSU mobo loom to short for the PSU to run, so i could start my w/c loop for testing.

Associate
Sorry Elric, didn't make myself clear.

I've found it best practice when testing Water loops to do them outside the case, tis all.

You can cut ya tubes after sizing, then assemble outside of the case all the W/C gear into your loop. Grab a PSU and and short the pins I mentioned on the 24pin connector to start the PSU up and provide power to any fans/pump you have attached.

Keeps your expensive goodies safe while testing your loop.

Associate
weescott said:
To start a mobo without the PSU simply short the 2 power pins with a flat bladed screwdriver. To run the pump directly from the PSU short the green and any back wire with a paper clip.

AS weescott said, but to add to it, from what i remember the green wire is very close to (i think just to the right of) the clip of the ATX connector.

Soldato
I just realised that what I said made no sense what so ever.

How can one start a mobo without a PSU? :confused: I should have said "to start a mobo not connected to a case switch, as you do outside the case when leak testing, short the 2 power pins with a flat bladed screwdriver " :o

Back
Top Bottom