starting to spec up a new system, advice please

Associate
so far i've decided to go for the x1900xt graphics card, and i'm pretty sure on my case, hard disc, DVD, memory, etc

the main dilemma i have is:

a) whether having a motherboard that'll let me go to crossfire at a later stage is important (i'll be using a 20" widescreen display, so maybe i'd never need to go crossfire really?)

and

b) do i go with an AMD x2 processor on socket AM2, or a core2duo processor

i was leaning towards the amd side on price grounds, and the seemingly better range of motherboards available, but now i've just spotted this motherboard:

Asrock ConroeXFire-eSATA2 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (MB-003-AK)

now i'm slightly confused on that one, seeing as it's a core2duo board, quite cheap, and seems to support crossfire, but does only seem to mention having one PCI-e x 16 slot, which makes me wonder if more than just another card would be needed for crossfire?

now if i did go intel, rather than AMD, i'm a bit lost on the conroe range, would i need to get an E6600 to get the most of the graphics card, or would i be fine with a cheaper chip from that range?

cheers in advance :)

Associate
Renegade6k said:
b) do i go with an AMD x2 processor on socket AM2, or a core2duo processor

Core2Duo

now i'm slightly confused on that one, seeing as it's a core2duo board, quite cheap, and seems to support crossfire, but does only seem to mention having one PCI-e x 16 slot, which makes me wonder if more than just another card would be needed for crossfire?

You Definately need two cards for crossfire

Associate
OP
budget-wise i can stretch, but wanting to ideally keep it to around £700-800. my intention is to get something that handles all current games to the top level at the moment while being relatively future proof, but isn't just "the best" for the sake of it.

as for overclocking, i've never done it before. i wouldn't say that i rule it out, but i'd also say my main intention is that the system should run fine without doing it.

i know 2 graphics cards would be needed for crossfire, but on that motherboard's spec it says "PCI Express x 16 slot, one additional AGI Express slot to adopt 2nd PCI Express x 16 VGA card, and other PCI Express x4, x2, x1 interface cards." which seems different to other ones that have two PCI express, or is the AGI express exactly the same thing? :confused:

Associate
OP
anyone got any comment on the motherboard i've mentioned above? i've checked it out and it would be upgradeable to crossfire but i'm wondering whether there's too much point to that...

very tempted to go with it due to the price, but equally the price makes me unsure as to whether it might be a bit pants or something?

Back
Top Bottom