"Staycation" - Help me pick a destination..

Soldato
The Mrs and I have a week off in May and we'd like to go away to some self-catering lodges/caravans in the UK. We're open to suggestions but at the moment are looking at possibly the Yorkshire Dales or North York Moors. Is there much to do in either location?

We've previously done similar in Cornwall and Fort Augustus (bottom of Loch Ness) but are not really sure where is worth going for things to do. Ideally we want a good lot of things within 45 minutes drive and will pick a site close to a local shop and a pub.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Soldato
OP
Enjoy walks and local attractions during the day followed by cooking ourselves and chilling or going to the pub in the evening.

And we would go to Rhyl but it's only an hour or so away..

Soldato
From memory of a holiday a few years back:

Plenty to do in York itself. The Minster, Jorvik Museum, Railway Museum, the tourist shops / shambles.
Can do a day in Scarborough for that Rhyl on the North sea experience.
National Trust, Castle Howard if you like stately homes.

Soldato
From memory of a holiday a few years back:

Plenty to do in York itself. The Minster, Jorvik Museum, Railway Museum, the tourist shops / shambles.
Can do a day in Scarborough for that Rhyl on the North sea experience.
National Trust, Castle Howard if you like stately homes.

I'd recommend York for the above, you could mix that with a trip to Whitby too which is nice and has the Abbey and other things to do and see. There's also Scarborough and Bridlington which are both seaside towns, but Whitby is a bit nicer. You could go to Ilkley on the way home and check out the Cow and Calf rocks and have a meal/pint at the pub there as well.

Associate
Have a look at options near Bamburgh.

Glorious stretch of the Northumberland coastline with Bamburgh castle a main attraction, the historic island of Lindisfarne five miles away, a day trip to the Farne Islands, any number of small fishing villages such as Seahouses or Amble within easy reach. Castles by the dozen in whatever flavour you like, whether ruined and remote (Dunstanburgh), better preserved medieval (Warkworth) or the lived-in types (Chillingham, Alnwick). Bountiful access to nature in the Northumberland National Park and the Cheviot Hills and a few options for larger National Trust run sites such as Cragside or Wallington for easy day trips. Or further north, cross over into Scotland via the Cheviots and head to Jedburgh, Kelso, any number of other places of interest. Or if you have time, you could drive down to the North Pennines and explore some of the glorious, wild landscapes around Hadrian's Wall. The best sections of that route are only around 1"15 from Bamburgh.

And the best bit? Most of the coastline/interior is relatively little visited even in summer compared to other parts of the UK. You won't be cheek by jowl with people, you can properly get off the beaten track if you wish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have a look at options near Bamburgh.

Glorious stretch of the Northumberland coastline with Bamburgh castle a main attraction, the historic island of Lindisfarne five miles away, a day trip to the Farne Islands, any number of small fishing villages such as Seahouses or Amble within easy reach. Castles by the dozen in whatever flavour you like, whether ruined and remote (Dunstanburgh), well-preserved medieval (Warkworth) or the modern, lived-in types (Alnwick). Bountiful access to nature in the Northumberland National Park and the Cheviot Hills and a few options for larger National Trust site such as Cragside or Wallington for easy day trips. Or further north, cross over into Scotland via the Cheviots and head to Jedburgh, Kelso, any number of other places of interest. Or if you have time, you could drive down to the North Pennines and explore some of the glorious, wild landscapes around Hadrian's Wall. The best sections of that route are only around 1"15 from Bamburgh.

And the best bit? Most of the coastline/interior is relatively little visited even in summer compared to other parts of the UK. You won't be cheek by jowl with people, you can properly get off the beaten track if you wish.

Amazing part of the country. Holy Island, Berwick, Anwick and only an hour or so to Scotland.

Soldato
Not acquainted with Yorkshire myself, but that sounds a lot like the Lake District, too. Plenty of things to do around the fringes, while still avoiding the more touristy areas. Might be worth considering?

I can't even think of a word related to this thread that begins with R... Can we get a hint, so we at least know what not to use? Serious question.

Be careful, you could get people riled up.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
The GF and I went away with these guys just before Xmas: https://www.forestholidays.co.uk/, although we stayed in Thorpe Forest there are nearer ones to you. Was excellent - lovely cabins and great for a long weekend

- GP
We've stayed in one of them too, lovely cabins. But very quiet, which may or may not be what you want. Personally it was perfect for us as we were looking for a quiet chillout break, the Hot tub was great too! :)

Soldato
We've stayed in one of them too, lovely cabins. But very quiet, which may or may not be what you want. Personally it was perfect for us as we were looking for a quiet chillout break, the Hot tub was great too! :)

Definitely - it was quiet which was exactly what we were after, especially with the decking area, log burner and hot tub (Which I saw them come around daily to take samples from and clean so while likely still a cesspit of bacteria, I had some comfort it was being tended to! Didn't catch any skin diseases so it was fine). The rest of the cabin was well laid out, clean and stocked (i.e. towels and kitchen utensils). The site lodge was well provisioned too, although we mainly kept to ourselves and had excursions around to local areas. Definitely looking to go again

- GP

FTM

FTM

Soldato
we love a weekend in Masham as its only a couple of hours drive from me

2 breweries in the town keeps my interest, but you have some great national trust sites on your doorstep

Brimham rocks if you like a bit of bouldering and Fountains abbey with its water gardens

not far to Hawes for some smashing wensleydale

Back
Top Bottom