Stealing food from skip

Soldato
"Dog end"? I don't even want to know what that is, sounds like some weird fetish!

It's a Northern slang term (at least I think its Northern!) for the remainder of a cigarette, often with a couple of drags left. I don't smoke so don't understand why people would chuck these away, but I've always known them as 'dog ends'.

The point is, it was not an act of stupidity. There was a clear intent here.

Absolutely. The CPS make some very strange decisions at times, yet appear to be 100% unaccountable for wasting money on frivolous and pointless cases.

Soldato
I think much points are being missed here.

To my mind the "Offence" wasn't so much the taking of the food from the skip, it was the illegal entry of the property in order to do so!

Personally I would have given them a conditional discharge for the theft and three months for the criminal trespass (Trespass with intent to commit a crime-to wit, the theft from the skip)

(I think I have interpreted the relevant laws correctly, though no doubt somebody will be along in a moment to correct me if I havent! :D )

For me, "Skip Diving" where the skip is in a place of legal public access "May" be reasonable (Some out of date food-OK, A stainless steel sink or copper hot water cylinder from a builders skip-No!)

But entering private premises to do so is a definite no-no and should be strongly discouraged!

Associate
So what, they shouldn't charge £3 for a sandwich that cost 50p to make, package and ship into the machine.

Dog end = fag butt

Haha, fag butt!

How much should they charge for sandwiches then? And how do you know how much it costs?

I wouldn't buy that crap personally but I expect vending machines to gouge your eyes out.

Permabanned
The law in this case lacks a point,
Who is being harmed here? These people would not have bought fresh food from Iceland anyway, if anything they are making a political point by foraging.

It's like having laws governing roadkill.

The only gain by prosecuting would be to enforce the current food chain system, which pretty much deliberately excludes the poor.

Do laws have to be morally justifiable or do they simply have to be expedient and/or supportive of capitalism.

Soldato
Haha, fag butt!

How much should they charge for sandwiches then? And how do you know how much it costs?

I wouldn't buy that crap personally but I expect vending machines to gouge your eyes out.

I know how much a sandwich costs to make, this might come as a surprise but I've made one or two in my time.

I wouldn't buy that crap either but if it's free I'll eat it.

Caporegime
Do laws have to be morally justifiable or do they simply have to be expedient and/or supportive of capitalism.

I think they should be morally justifiable. There was a moderately interesting thread in SC a while back about how juries can find defendants not guilty even if they think that person broke the law, but think that the law is morally wrong. I'd certainly hope that if the vindictive CPS hadn't have been shouted down by the media in this case, and it had gone to trial, that the jury would have remembered this.

Associate
I know how much a sandwich costs to make, this might come as a surprise but I've made one or two in my time.

I wouldn't buy that crap either but if it's free I'll eat it.

I was more interested in how you know about the shipping and packaging costs.

Of course it's corporate greed, the very fact they have opened so many stores is in itself greedy - no one needs that much money or market share.

It's a business. They're not going to just stop because they've made enough profit to survive.

I'm sure nobody needs a computer, smart phone, pizza or beer, but the freedom to have this is wonderful. Is that greed?

Soldato
I was more interested in how you know about the shipping and packaging costs.
Because I package and ship things also and it doesn't cost much.

It's a business. They're not going to just stop because they've made enough profit to survive.

I'm sure nobody needs a computer, smart phone, pizza or beer, but the freedom to have this is wonderful. Is that greed?
There comes a time when you're never going to spend that money, it's just ****** business practice, be happy to be making a good living and do things right instead of snatching every penny as a millionaire.

Associate
Because I package and ship things also and it doesn't cost much.

Thanks

There comes a time when you're never going to spend that money, it's just ****** business practice, be happy to be making a good living and do things right instead of snatching every penny as a millionaire.

That's all relative. What you believe you need as a person many people will think is extravagant.

It sounds like you just don't want people to be rich. The ability to make as much money as you want is a vital part of living in a free country.

Soldato
That's all relative. What you believe you need as a person many people will think is extravagant.

It sounds like you just don't want people to be rich. The ability to make as much money as you want is a vital part of living in a free country.
I want people to be able to pay their bills working a regular job - I've run multiple businesses and I refused to underpay workers, force overtime or create a cutthroat uncaring atmosphere. It's about good business practise - constant expansion and cost cutting is what is killing business in the modern day. It's just greed, people are unprepared to do things right.

Most people are not free to make money because markets are so dominated by essential monopolies of firms now - yet the government we elected to regulate that has done nothing and made it illegal for us to make a move as well.

I have no issue with a man making a living, provided he isn't being a dick about it.

Back
Top Bottom