1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Link / Controller

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by slipd, Apr 11, 2020.

1. slipd

Mobster

Hi guys,

What's the score with the above; have Valve completely dropped them now?

I bought both items last year, open the boxes, played about with them for approximately 20 minutes and returned them to their respective houses :)

I'm not sure they're needed?

I game with an Xbox controller and if I do look at game streaming, this kit will be redundant anyway, won't it?

Thoughts?

2. Haggisman

Capodecina

It's handy for when your PC is in one room but you want to game elsewhere, e.g. PC in office, but want to play on your TV.

Obviously isn't going to beat a long Hdmi lead & usb extension for the controller, but a lot more convenient than running cables.

I used to have one and it worked very well (have since upgraded to an Nvidia shield which serves the same purpose)

3. keenan

Hitman

As above, the steam link is more of an extension of your PC to the living room.

My steam controller is connected to my steam link and works perfectly for couch gaming.

4. slipd

Mobster

Thanks both! I think I'm good then... I'll bundle it up for the 'Bay :)

5. synrgy87

Associate

Seems also there's rumblings via patents of a new steam controller in the works so we'll probably see a new version with more customization options, I do like mine though.

6. Kamakazie!

Wise Guy

I like mine for remote play but some games just crash endlessly whilst playing which makes it a bit hit & miss.
    If it was more consistently stable then it'd be amazing but as it is, I think the link is passable.

The controllers are great though, so much better for M&K only games where they suit couch gaming.
    Some of the benefits have diminished now you can remap / customise Xbox, PS controllers etc in the same tool.

7. Thesman106

Gangster

Man I remember missing the last deal for the controller, was bumed that my payment didn't go through. But there was news about a new version coming out. No eta at the moment though

8. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

The steam link is now software on my Samsung TVs and I hated the controller, so both are now obsolete for me.

9. Thesman106

Gangster

Is the tv app any good?

10. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Yes, much better than the hardware link. I've found it to be much more reliable. It also means you have more ports available via the one connect box. For best results you still need a cable rather than wireless though.

11. Narj

Capodecina

I eventually got annoyed with mine and got a mini gaming PC setup for the living room. Much better.

The Steam link and controller are in a box under the stairs now.

12. Thesman106

Gangster

Oh nice, i should give it a go then. Was too skeptical about it

13. strocky

Gangster

Got two steam links when Game was punting them for £10 and lucky if I've used them twice

14. ikillbears

Mobster

Just to add to this I have steam link running on my Fire Tv, works great