Steering rattling?

Soldato
Car is a Mitsubishi Lancer Equippe (1.6 petrol, 2008) with just over 108k miles.

I was driving home from London yesterday and brushed a curb (Although I think this could just be co-incidental) I notice the sterring wheel shaking which got progressive worse until I had to pull over on the A1 as it was shaking pretty hard.

Got out, checked all the wheel nuts were tight, tires were inflated and checking for anything obvious, couldnt see anything. Started up car, and oddly was fine the rest of the 60 odd mile journey.

Drive it yesterday, all be it a short trip of a few miles each way, totally fine.

Driving it today, steering starts shaking again, about 20 mile trip, gets progressively worse. Turn off car (went in to a shop) and once I got back in, it was fine again for the first say 15 miles, then did some heavy braking tests, and after that the shaking got worse again.

When it does start, the shaking is constant, so whether braking or not, although feels more severe under braking.

Another point to mention is that the sterring has always shaken a little under braking (has done for a good few years at least) but the recent shaking is different and more severe as it never shook when not braking before.

Other than that, the steering still feels accurate, there is no loseness when turning or slack sterring feeling or anything like that, just shaking.

What do you guys reckon?

I am thinking potentially a binding brake, maybe the seals in one of the pistons are knackered. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom